Chapter 1

Shady woke up to a hot feeling on her face, she bolted out of bed and closed the blinds as fast as possible. Her heart was racing, she dashed to the mirror in the bathroom, which was next to her room in the hall. Her face had small red blotches on it, not because of acne or a rash, but because she was sunburned. It wasn't your normal sunburn that you got after playing outside without sunscreen, it was a burn that could kill Shady if it got too severe.

Shady let out a sigh of relief, thankful the burn wasn't bad. She had forgotten to close the blinds last night when she had come home. She usually flew around the small town she lived in at night, it brought her and her demon great joy to feel the sensation of the wind pushing up on their wings to make them airborne. She used the window to leave and enter her house, she feared that someone would see her if she used the door.

That was close. Shady's demon said. You should be more careful.

"I know, Vocivus." Shady said. "It was an accident, I will try to be less careless in the future."

Good, Vocivus said. We don't want to get hurt.

Shady turned on the cold water and splashed it on her face, easing the pain. Drying her face with a towel, she went downstairs and grabbed a large piece of steak from the fridge. She tossed it in the air and blasted it with her fire, cooking it to medium-rare in a matter of seconds. She caught it and ate ravenously, demons don't need table manners.

Shady finished her feeding frenzy and began to lick the steak juice from her hands. Suddenly there was a knock at the door. Shady jumped up, immediately becoming vicious.

"Calm down, Vocivus." She told the demon, who usually became vicious when there was someone else around. "If we ignore it they'll probably go away." The demon said nothing, but calmed down anyway.

Shady waited, but the person continued to knock on the door. She and Vocivus began to grow impatient, until whoever it was spoke.

"Esaelp nepo pu." The person said. Shady was frozen with shock, how did this person know how to speak Demonic?