Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I rush home and realize Nikki is still there. I walk in and run past her to the bathroom. I look in the mirror and see that my hair needs a trim and I need to work out again. I change into sweatpants and a t-shirt and I walk out of the bathroom, Nikki’s looking at me. “Hey, where are you going?” She asks me.

“Uh.” I hesitate before replying. “The gym.” She looks slightly upset and gets up off the couch.

“We don’t have to be awkward at each other, it was just a kiss.” I walked out of the house ignoring her remark. “Aiden!” She practically yells to me.

“What?” I yell back turning my head to see her. She looks upset and turns around. 

“Never mind.” I barely hear. I get into my car and drive to the gym. I walk in and the manager still isn’t there. I lift weights until my arms get sore, I get up and look at the time. It’s almost eight o’clock P.M. I walk over to the treadmill and hit the power on button, it won’t turn on. I realize that the battery is out so I walk into the back room. I find a battery cabinet so I open it and see a box that says TREADMILL on it. I pull it out of the box and walk back over to the treadmill to push the new battery into it. It turns on and I start running. When I get sore in my legs I decide to drive home to change into my suit and go to work.

I walk back into the business and Ethan is sitting on the computer looking very concentrated on the monitor, I watch as he turns his focus to the computer part and he presses a button that I didn’t even know he had, he pulls out the monitor setting it on the floor and pulls out some of the wires from the back. He then pushes the wires into the wrong spots and adds new wires. “What are you doing?” I ask him.

“Building.”

“Building what?”

“The Answer.” His answers are short and quick.

“The answer to what?”

“Why the sun is leaving, why the air is colder and why the ground is hotter.”

“It’s winter, why wouldn’t the air be cold?”

“Have you noticed the ground? It’s New York, it’s almost Christmas, and there isn’t snow on the ground, it’s all melted.” I ignore his comment, not knowing the answer.

“How are you building an answer?”

“Not an answer, The Answer!” Ethan practically screamed at me.

“Fine then.”

Ethan keeps working and I go to my desk. When I sit down theres a note on my calendar. ‘Photo shoot’ It was on the date of next tuesday, a week from now.

“Are you going to it?” I hear Ethan ask.

“No, I’m gonna skip it, no one will be there anyway.”

“What do you do at the photo shoot?”

“I supervise and take the pictures and edit them onto a magazine for our company.”

“Well that’s cool. How long has it been since you went to one?”

“I went about a month ago last year.”

“Thats really cool!” Ethan shrugs and then gets back to work.

“So why did you ask?”

“Well, You might like it if you go this time?”

“I said no one is going to be there.” I said slower this time hoping he would understand this time.

“Yeah but you never know somebody might show up.”