Slayer 18

Things were serious now. The slayers had broken into my home, tried to tear my new life, my love away from me. I knew it was only the beginning of a fierce struggle to save what I had cherished for only a few months, barely any time even in terms of humans.

My mind was lucid, clearer than freshly formed ice, surging into what Cai had called 'mission mode.' I had to protect this. The best thing of my life.

I looked up at Xavier, noting absently that the face in my memory was so match for the real version. Beyond my control, I reached up to cup his cheek in my hand, and he leaned against it, sighing, before pressing his lips to mine and sending the delicious shock waves of pleasure through my body.

I couldn't lose him.

~*~

"Alexis..." he called. We'd returned to the familiarity of the penthouse once the coast had been declared as clear of slayers or other dangers.

I inclined my head toward the closed door of the bathroom, busily drying my hair with a white towel, knowing he would hear my answer even through all the walls between us. "Yeah?"

"Come out here, please?"

I glanced down to check if my bathrobe was fastened properly before walking out into his room two doors down the hall. "Is there something wrong?" I asked, pausing at the doorway.

He was lying on the bed, facing me, propping his head up his hand. "Sleep with me tonight?" he requested instead of answering the question, his lips upturned in a slight smile, anticipating my reaction.

I did not disappoint. Gaping at him, I dropped the towel, letting it slip through my numb fingers and fall to the floor with a muffled thud. "W-what!?" I stammered. I couldn't believe he wanted to go so far already!

His face seemed to fall slightly, twisting from its contentedness into something else. "Oh, no! Not that way! I just was thinking, like...sleeping beside me. I mean, if you don't want to, it's okay..."

I shook my head rapidly, hastily, afraid I'd given him the wrong message. It wasn't that I didn't want him... "No, no, it's okay! I mean, I will. Really."

His answering smile could've blinded me. "Okay," he said happily.

I smiled back reflexively-honestly, the seventeen muscles it took to make him smile were directly linked to the corresponding ones in my body-and ducked out of the room to hunt down a blow dryer for my stubborn hair.

When I finished getting ready for bed, I skipped to his room, unable to control the jittery excitement pulsing through my body. He was still on his side, watching the doorway, his eyes brightening when I bounced over the threshold and over to the bed. But I hesitated, blushing. He offered me a comforting smile and took my hand in his, gently tugging me toward his body, and I let myself be pulled into bed. When he tried to coax me into facing him, I refused, spooning into him with my back to his chest. He sighed, but kissed my neck softly, causing shudders to tremor through my back.

"No," I struggled to whisper, my throat suddenly closing unnervingly, when I felt his tongue caress my skin.

He breathed out slowly, causing my nerves to go wild, but pressed his lips to my throat once more. "Don't worry," he soothed. "I would never unless you let me."

Touched, I closed my eyes to prevent the tears from escaping, but he could scent them, his graceful fingers reaching to wipe them off. When he started to pull away, I caught his fingers in mine, holding his arms in an embrace around me. "This...this is okay," I said quietly, shyly.