*Friends*

*Friends*

"Wake up, love birds!"

I groaned and blinked open my eyes; the sky was a dull grey above me, speckled with dismal-looking clouds. It was too early to be awake.

Who had spoken?

I slowly turned my head and saw Newt's next to mine, his eyes still closed, his breathing slow. Then Minho's face appeared, a smirk playing across his lips. As usual.

"What?" I hissed, carefully removing Newt's arm from my shoulders. I struggled to my feet, realising my legs were stiff from laying in an awkward position.

Newt remained sprawled along the floor, looking adorable.

"The gathering has been moved to this morning; in an hour, to be exact."

I sighed. That means I'd have to wake Newt up.

"So wake your little boyfriend up and have a shower or something." Then he stalked away with a shrug. I smiled sardonically after him, then slowly crouched next to Newt and began shaking his shoulder.

"Huh?" The moan slipped out of his parted lips as he stirred, turning his head.

"Neeewwtt..." I sang, again shaking his shoulder.

"What?" His eyes fluttered open, blinking rapidly.

"The gathering's been moved to this morning. You gotta get up."

He sighed and I offered him a hand, gently pulling him up. He brushed down his trousers and smiled at me. "Guess I'll see you later, then."

He walked away, leaving me grinning as I remembered last night.

"Watcha doing, shank?" Chuckled a voice behind me. I turned round and saw Chuck, arms folded, smirking at me. "How'd your night with Newt go?"

"You're turning into a mini Minho," I muttered, rolling my eyes. "You have showers here?"

He nodded, slowly.

"Can you take me to them."

He pondered this for a moment, then a mischievous glint flashed in his eye. "Only if you tell me one thing?"

I suppressed a sigh. "What?"

"Did you kiss him?"

I paused and huffed. "Yes," I snapped. "Now can we go to the showers?"

He nodded, looking pleased with himself. "This way!"

He hopped away and I slowly trudged after him, still feeling groggy under the effects of sleep.

He led me to a small shack and presented it - with a flourish of his arms - as 'the showers'.

Them his guise suddenly turned awkward, his cheeks reddening slightly. "Umm... do you, er, want me to guard the door for you?"

I looked at him incredulously. "What do you mean?"

"Well, they, uh, don't have locks, and y'know, you're a girl..."

"Oh," I sighed. "Uh, sure. I'd appreciate that. Are there any fresh clothes about?"

"Yeah. I'll go get you some! You just stay there and don't do anything 'till I come back!" He shouted, already sprinting away.

He was such a great friend!

Friends.

They were a good thing to have in places like these. I only had a few; Newt, Chuck, Minho, Jeff, Frypan and Glenn. They were the only ones nice to me. Glenn was a little odd, but he occasionally sat with me at lunch and talk to me about the fields. He was a nice enough guy, but I found him staring at me a lot. It was embarrassing. And awkward. And it made Newt excessively protective over me.

"Here you are!" Chuck's voice snapped me from my thoughts, and I gratefully accepted the clothing he handed me, before stepping into the shower room.

Inside was cool, and three separate shower cubicles stood side by side. There was nobody in there, and thank the grievers, for there were no doors on either cubicle. I glanced skeptically at the door, now guarded by Chuck, before hesitantly stripping off my clothes and switching on the shower. Icy water cascaded over my body, making me yelp in surprise.

Great. No warm water.

Eventually growing used to the icy numbness of the shower, I finished washing myself with the limited products available and dried myself slowly. The towels, although looking fresh, were rough and scratchy, and hell knows who had used them, so I mostly allowed myself to dry naturally, before slipping into some fresh clothes. I felt wholly better for it.

I quickly gathered my things before exiting the shack and almost walking straight into Chuck, slumped lazily in front of the door.

"I'm finished."

He looked up in surprise, and scrambled to his feet.

"You took ages in there!" He protested. I chuckled and shrugged.

"Sorry. Where shall I put the clothes?"

Chuck shrugged and held out a hand. "I'll take care of that. You'd better get your hair dry before the gathering."

He took the clothing from my hand and walked away, leaving me wringing the water out of my hair with my hands. I sighed and slowly paced towards the deadheads, dawdling occasionally to watch the other gladers. As I passed the fields, Glenn caught my eye and waved at me. I waved back and continued to my usual spot.

Some time later, a random kid appeared between the bushes, informing me the gathering was to start soon. I nodded and followed him to the council shack, where he left me in a small room packed with chairs, whilst the other keepers decided my fate.