Book 1 ~ Chapter 11

Start from the beginning

"Wow, you look great, Lei, you too Korra," Mako complimented. I smiled lightly.

"Thanks, Mako," I said.

"This is my daughter, Asami," Mr. Sato gestured to the girl holding Mako's arm.

"It's an honor to meet you, Princess Lei," Asami said. I cringed once more.

"Just call me Lei," I smiled, and she smiled back.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mako has told me a lot about you," Asami said to Korra.

"Really? Because he never mentioned you at all, How did you two meet?" Korra said bitterly.

"Asami crashed into him on her motorcycle," Bolin answered for Asami.

"Oh, are you okay?" Korra asked concerned.

"I'm fine, more than fine, Mr. Sato is agreed to support our team, We're back in the tournament," Mako said happily.

"Isn't that great?" Bolin said ecstatically.

"That's great!" I said. Mako smiled.

"Yeah, thats, terrific," Korra said blankly.

"Chief Beifong!" Tarlock called, Beifong! As in Toph's daughter.

"I believe you've already met Avatar Korra," Tarlock said. Chief Beifong raised her eyebrow, and approached Korra.

"Just because they are throwing you this big "to-do" doesn't mean you're anything special, you have done absolutely nothing to deserve this," Cheif Beifong sneered. I glared at her and got in between them.

"Back off," I warned angrily. Cheif Beifong raised her eyebrow.

"Ah, you must be the princess, tell me, what are you doing here? Are you gonna cause destruction like your grandmother did," Chief Beifong sneered. I froze at her words and tried my best to stay calm.

I immediately turned around and left the group. I heard Korra call for me, but I ignored her. I hate it when people associated me with my grandmother. It's like I'm almost the one being punished for what she's done. I left the ballroom and went up the stairs and it lead me up to the balcony of the Republic Hall. It was a windy night, and I was cold, so I held myself to keep me warm. I didn't care, I'd rather be here and freeze, than in there and be criticized for what my grandmother did. I stared into the beautiful city as the lights in the buildings were all lit. Suddenly, I felt something soft cover me. I looked behind me and saw Mako wrapping his signature red scarf around me.

"Thanks," I said softly. He stood next to me.

"What are you doing out here," Mako asked. I sighed.

"I just wanted to get away from the party, that's all," I lied. He sighed.

"Look," Mako started, "Don't mind what Chief Beifong said, if that's what's bothering you, okay? I know Azula was your grandmother, but that doesn't mean you did anything wrong,"

"All my life, I've been punished for what she's done," I started tearing up, "I was kept in the fire nation, all my life, they didn't allow me to leave because they were afraid I would be the one to bring the fire nation name back to the dust,"

Then, I felt it, I felt a tear drop down the side of my face. I felt so helpless and embarrassed. I'm opening up to Mako, of all people. I'm crying in front of him. I started covering my face with my hands. Then, I felt him embrace me. He used his hand to soothe my back. I stopped crying and stayed in his arms for a while. His embrace felt so warm. I pulled away from the hug, and looked into his eyes. He cupped my cheek with the palm of his hand, and softly rubbed my cheek with his thumb.

"You really look beautiful, tonight, Lei," Mako said softly. I melted at his words.

Then, I realized, he's with Asami, I shouldn't be doing this, he shouldn't either. I immediately pulled away from his grip, and looked at him.

"I should check on Korra, she's probably looking for me," I said awkwardly as I unwrapped his scarf from my neck, and handed it to him.

"Lei, I—" Mako got cut off.

"No, it's alright, you should look for Asami, she's probably looking for you as well," I said before walking away.

What am I doing? I'm such a horrible friend. Mako's with Asami, and Korra likes him. Mako is a great guy, but I could never see myself with him. He would never like me. I don't even know why I'm feeling this, because I shouldn't. I dismissed the feeling completely, and put my focus on finding Korra. I hurriedly made my way down the stairs and spotted Korra waiting for me in front of the car. I walked up to her, she seemed bothered by something. Her gaze changed when she saw me.

"Lei! I was so worried about you," Korra said as she hugged me.

"Sorry, I just wanted some time alone," I explained.

"That's alright, but, we have a problem," Korra said. I raised an eyebrow.

"What is it?" I asked. Korra looked down.

"I joined Tarlock's task force," Korra said.

"I left you for like 30 minutes, and you get into this situation," I sighed.

✨•~~~~~~~~•✨
AUTHORs NOTE:
This chapter was edited but nothing from the storyline has been changed.