"To make money.... To buy food. To buy the things that I wanted. Shawn wasted what was left to us."

"There, you've answered your own question." I look over to him to see that he's migrated a portion of his attention to some sort of paperwork. 

"Did your brother spend all of your money too?" I ask with an arched eyebrow; my question is light but I am pressing, curious, as to how Ever evolved into his infamy.  His eyes return to mine. 

"No," he responds flatly. 

He lays his pen atop the papers and leans into his desk, intertwining his fingers together.  

"There was no money to spend. I was poor from the start, already bound to a life of lacking. You see, I, too, wanted food, Ori.  I wanted things. My parents couldn't find the tools or even the will to dig their way out of the ground, but I did. I did exactly as you have done, princess. The only difference is that I had nothing to lose. I used the only tool I had at the time, and as it turns out, I was able to use that tool exceedingly well. So now, here we are, thirteen years later. I have built an empire with that very tool."

I take in his words, and suddenly feel a ping of guilt in my heart for judging him so quickly in the beginning. I should have waited to judge him on his other qualities that I detest, like the fact that he is a monster. 

He was right, though.

A drug is a drug, and I really was a hypocrite to think of him so terribly for something that I, myself, contribute to. 

While I was deep in my mind, I didn't even realize I was still staring straight at him. When I come to, our eyes are locked. They remain so for another moment before I lower mine. 

I put my hands behind my back and awkwardly shift my body. I kick the ground softly with one of my feet.  

"I'm sorry," I say lowly, almost inaudibly - but I know that he hears it. "You were right. I am a hypocrite." 

Only I would be apologizing to a man that kidnapped me, but it is a characteristic that I can't help. If I am conscious of something that I feel I have done wrong, it eats at me. Even in this situation. 

He doesn't speak until I bring my eyes up to his again. I see that he is examining me, as if I am some extra terrestrial creature. 

"It's okay," he finally declares softly before rolling his chair back and standing up. 

"Would you like to do something?" 

I squint my eyes at him. 

"To do something?" I ask, confused.

"Yes. With me. Anything you wish." 

I am silent, perplexed by his words. I contemplate asking to do something that would aide in my escape - something outside, perhaps. I could take a few minutes to myself in the restroom to conjure up an actual plan. Suddenly I feel the collar tighten around my throat, as if reminding me of my bearings. As it stands, without a solid, sensible plan - there is no escaping. 

I consider a secondary option, one that doesn't involve an immediate escape. One that would build rapport, that would build trust - better my chances. Yet, I can't come up with anything. What would Ever even like to do? 

I sigh, coming up short. I can't think on the spot like this. 

"Would.. would you wanna play a video game with me?"

A tiny little smile breaks out on his face. 

"What did you have in mind?" 

I settle on Minecraft, with Ever in mind. Simple, straight forward. I was under the assumption that he probably had never played or had rarely played video games. I was also under the assumption that we would play in his bedroom. 

I was wrong. He led me to a den type of room, equipped with a sectional, a large television, and an entertainment center adorned with multiple consoles. Hundreds of games line the shelves. I was in awe, but more so due to the fact that all of this belonged to Ever Kingsley. 

He seemed amused, as if he could read my very thoughts on the matter. 

"Did you think that I do absolutely nothing in my pastime?" He asks with a raised eyebrow. 

"Well, I surely didn't think this is what you do in your pastime." 

Five hours later, we are sitting in the floor, deep inside a cave. I have twenty two diamonds, and am currently in a sword fight with an armored skeleton, next to a large pit of lava. 

I am also screaming at Ever, who is in another part of the cave, nowhere near me. 

"Oh my God! Please! I am literally about to lose everything and you aren't even trying!" 

"Shut up, I told you I'm coming! I'm almost there. I can see you." 

"Oh my GOD!" I whine.

I see Ever's arrow hit the skeleton, but as soon as it does, the bony little asshole knocks me into the lava. My health is too low. I die immediately. I watch on Ever's side of the screen as he finishes off the skeleton, my precious wares burning in the lava behind it. 

Tears filled my eyes. If you've ever played Minecraft, then I'm sure you know the frustration I am feeling. 

I throw my controller on the ground and stomp to the couch. Ever buries himself in the ground, safe from monsters, and turns to face me. 

"Are you mad?" He teasingly asks, as if this is a game. 

"It is literally your fault I died. Where were you?" He stands up now, coming towards the couch. 

"Ori, it is not my fault that you couldn't kill that little skeleton on your own. But I am sorry, that you suck." 

Idiot. He's very near to me now. Without even thinking, I bring my foot up and thrust it against his torso, taking him by surprise. His facial expression promptly switches from playful, to surprised, to enraged. 

My eyes widen. As I'm retracting my leg, he grabs my ankle roughly. He pushes it forward as he swiftly comes closer, bending down over me and shoving my knee into my chest. His face comes within inches of mine and he glares at me menacingly. 

I wear a deep pout on my face, but stay looking down. Not daring to meet his eyes. Several long, silent moments pass by. 

"Brat." he finally spits through gritted teeth. 

He (not so gently) releases his grip from my ankle and stands. I swallow hard. 

"I think it's time for bed."