Chapter VIII

So, I'm being kidnapped.

I. Am. Being. Fucking. Kidnapped.

I should probably be writhing in fear right now, with rivers of tears streaming down my face, creating messy lines of black down my cheeks. I should be screaming for help, whimpering and pleading like the perfect damsel in distress.

But I'm not. I am pissed.

Now don't get me wrong, I did scream – but it wasn't near a whimper, and I certainly wasn't pleading. It wasn't gonna change a thing. I knew that. 

"AGHH! You... you fucking pieces of shit! What's he paying you? I'll double it!" I forcefully attempt to wriggle out of the two hands wrapped around each of my forearms.

Needless to say, it didn't work, so I then decide to stop moving my feet altogether. Only this leads to me being dragged, the tops of my toes skimming the cold marble until we reach the front door. As they drag me through, I wrap my legs around the frame and try my damndest to dig my short toes into the wall. In return, the men shoot me a 'you've gotta be kidding' look before attempting to pry my legs from the door.

But I have a kung-fu grip. I'm staying right where I am. 

Well, that's what I thought.

Legs still convoluted, my head hit the floor.

No, not the floor. The ground. It was concrete. My upper body was outside, while my lower half was still intimate with the frame.

You know how in old cartoons, the whimsical antagonist who just got thumped on the head always sees stars or birds?

That's bullshit.

At least, that's not what I saw anyway. All I could see was a thick layer of darkness. It appeared in the corners of my eyes, slowly but surely filling up my entire line of vision. I felt my legs drop from the doorway, and I wondered if I was dying. I tried incredibly hard to mutter any last words that sounded remotely threatening (or even cool, for that matter):

I promise I'll haunt you.

Yes, I am aware that those are the lamest last words ever, but I was put on the spot – it was the first thing I thought of. Not that it really matters now, for when I heard the pathetic excuse for a voice protrude from my lips, it was clear that I didn't get my threat across at all.

"I.. I prominent." Those three senseless words took all of my breath, and I knew I couldn't stay awake any longer. I ordered my brain (or rather, my brain ordered me) to surrender control of my limbs.

I did so without hesitation.

"Shh! Just shut up, Bailey." I could barely make out the words the men were saying.

"He'll kill us something something pick her up. Something something something hear us. She'll be fine."

Would I?

The darkness took over.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sit at my desk, looking over the latest update on the Holly Bridge blueprints.

And, oh, they look good.

The city was going to be more than impressed when this was all over, and they should be. I've been designing this baby for three years. I've had the best men possible to help me work out any possible error. We could start building in a matter of months.