Making the Worst of a Good Situation

I felt like the I was in the center of the world here. There's a lot of activity in this casino and I've finally landed a job as a Blackjack dealer. I can make good money here.

I looked around to see what kind of crowd I'd be working here. Girls by the pool topless while their Sugar Daddies poured champagne on them. Typical. Young  beautiful girls flirting with cute guys at the bar. Good. There's a nice crowd here. I was adjusting to this environment until I saw the people that I hate to see at casino's. Real people.

They were everywhere people that I looked. I knew their type. They had problems that they thought gambling could solve. Unaware of the fact that no matter what the house always wins. I've seen people spent their rent money here hoping to double it so they could feed their children. This was the sad part of my job that I tried to ignore, but it was hard.

"Shit!" shouted the old balding man at my table. He's been here for an hour and his luck hasn't picked up yet. I wanted to tell him to quit but that wasn't my responsibility. My responsibility was shuffling. My dad taught me to shuffle when I was ten. I saw him shuffling for his friends on poker night and thought it was the most amazing talent.

"HIT ME!" screamed the drunk man as his loudness brought me back to reality. Obviously he didn't understand the concept of Blackjack. He was on 20 and asking for a hit. Armature. I gave him his card like he asked and.....

It was an Ace? Impossible... He won...

"WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOO! $5,000 and it's all mine!" He screamed drawing attention to my table.

The nearest gold-digger rushed to his side and grabbed his arm.

"Way to go baby." purred the seductive blonde with teased hair and a slinky, gaudy red dress on. It took all of my will power not to roll my eyes.

"Oh yeah." growled the man. Ew. "How about you go get a friend and then we can really make this a party?" The blonde was now visibly disgusted. She slapped him on the cheek.

"What kind of girl do you think I am?" She said appalled and stormed off. Way to blow it.

The man rubbed his cheek as he gave the blonde the evil eye.

"Whatever." He said angrily before he turned his attention to me "I wanna play again."

I tried to ignore him but he was too wasted to act right. And he wouldn't leave my table. He kept betting and actually winning. This was getting suspicious and I knew soon security would take him to the back and find out what was really going on. Usually I hate it when someone is taken to the back room but I wouldn't mind getting rid of him. He kept taking to me about his life (like I cared) and continually hinted that his room number was 437 and that I was more than welcome to come up. As if.

He'd won a small fortune and I saw them coming but he didn't. The two tall men in black suits discreetly made their way to my table and I was relieved. I could finish my shift in peace with this cheater gone. The two all too familiar men grabbed him by his arm and began to escort him to the dreaded backroom.

I was so glad he was gone. I finished my shift in peace and headed to the employee locker-room. I gathered my stuff and walked outside to call my roommate to come and pick me up when I had the strange feeling that I was being watched. Me, being the paranoid person that I am, grabbed my pocket knife and swiftly turned around ready to attack. I let out a sigh of relief when I saw that it was just casino security.

"Sorry" I said embarrassed tucking my weapon back in my purse.

"Ms. Anderson. We need you to come in the backroom  for a moment. We have some questions regarding this man" he held up a mug shot of room 437 guy.