Independence Day

Chapter 8

It'd been two months since this relationship or whatever you want to call has been going on with Chase and me.

"Stay or hit" I asked bored.

"Hit" Said random better number 348.

"38. Over." The crowd groaned. Work had been boring lately and people were losing more and tipping less. I had a feeling that I was being watched and a smile grew on my face. I knew it was Chase; He'd come to see me everyday randomly. I finally saw him appear at my table. I tried to hide my excitement but it was hard. Seeing Chase was the highlight of my day. The random betters frowned at my face. They must've thought I was happy to see them lose.

I continued shuffling and Chase was at the other end of my table watching me. I tried to concentrate on my job but he was so damn sexy it was hard. After a while Chase got up from my table and slipped something in my tip jar as he does everyday. This had become his pattern. He sits at my table and slips me a very generous tip. At first I was upset and called him demanding he'd take the money back but, he'd refuse. If I refused to take it he would give it to Paige and she had no problem taking it.

"He just wants to take care of you Sheilah why not let him?" Paige said last week counting the bills.

"Yea but..."

"YEA BUT NOTHING! We need the money."

As much as I hated to admit it Paige was right. I glanced in my tip jar to see what Chase had left today. Instead of money there was a small envelope with my name written on the front.

When my shift was over I emptied my tip jar and went into the locker room to see what Chase left for me. Inside of the envelope was a hotel key card and a note.

Meet me in the penthouse for a surprise. XOXO Chase. <3

Was Chase trying to seduce me?  I couldn't believe it. In our short dating time he'd tried nothing and I figured he just going slow. But, what was this? He hadn't hinted at anything but here was a huge sign. Was I ready for this? I didn't have time to answer this because my body did for me. I unconsciously started applying make up and ran in the elevator. I swiped the key card and pressed the penthouse button.

You can do this. You can do this. I gave myself a pep talk on the elevator ride. Fluff out your hair. Good. Now undo your top button. I did this right before the elevator door opened. I stepped in the penthouse ready for anything except for this.

"SURPISE!" My friends and family jumped from behind furniture holding balloons and party favors. It is my birthday huh? I felt foolish thinking Chase and I were about to seal the deal. I was relieved yet disappointed.

Chase ran up to me and kissed me on the lips.

"Happy Birthday" he said when we pulled apart. This moment was short-lived because Paige had to cut in.

"Happy Birthday Sexy Mami!" She said hugging me. "I see what kind of gift you were expecting" She said buttoning my shirt.

"Happy Birthday Sis" Sean said lightly punching my shoulder. "By the way. Mom is sitting on the couch waiting for you"

"Really?!?!" I was so happy to see her. I pushed through the crowd smiling at everyone until I reached her.

"Happy Birthday Sweetie" My mom said getting up to hug me. I held onto her tightly. When I'd finally let go I walked around and mingled with all of the other guest. I eventually sat down to talk to my mom.

"How'd you get here?" I asked.

"That nice young man invited me. He even offered me a room for the week but I'll be going back to Tampa tonight" My mom said.