It's a....

Chapter 20

"What do you think it'll be?" Paige asked. Today I had an ultrasound and I'd finally learn the baby's sex.

"I want a boy" I said rubbing my stomach.

"Yea we don't need another woman in the house. Too much estrogen already" she joked while washing the dishes

"Then what are we gonna do if it's a girl?" I asked her.

"She can stay but you'll have to go." she grinned a me.

"What if the baby and I were to move in with Chase?" I suggested.

I couldn't see her face since her back was turned towards me but her body stiffened. She wasn't even moving anymore.

"Paige?" I said from behind her. She didn't answer.

"You know eventually I'm going to move in with Chase." I continued "We're engaged and I'm having a baby." Paige nodded her head but didn't turn to me.

"I know." she sighed "It's just... I'll be alone." she finally turned to me and smiled sadly. 

"You won't be alone." I tried to convince her.

I got up to hug her but my stomach wouldn't let me reach her and she laughed humorlessly.

"You're really big" we both laughed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soon Chase came to pick me up and he drove us to Dr. Clark's office.

"Have you thought of any names?" he asked me.

"I've narrowed it down to Tyler or Connor." I said.

"That's it?" he asked "No girl names?"

"I want a boy" I declared proudly.

"We're having a girl." Chase said "A girl will be easier"

"Really? Most people say that boys are easier." I said.

"It's different with my people." he said. Chase hates talking about his family and I didn't want interrupt him but I had to ask.

"How?" I asked not wanting to say to much. He was silent for a while.

"Men have to prove their strength and earn their respect. It's complicated" he said. I wanted to know more but I knew it was useless.

"How are you doing today?" Dr. Clark asked Chase and me.

"I'm good. My ankles are a little swollen" I said

"That's expected at this stage." she sat down "Are you two ready for the baby? Is the nursery and everything ready?"

"Uhh" I looked over at Chase and his face was as blank as mine. How could we have gotten this far without thinking about a nursery?

"Don't worry there's still plenty of time. Now we're going to find out the baby's sex today. What are you hoping for?"

"A boy"

"A girl" Chase and I answered at the same time. Dr. Clark smiled at us.

"Well let's find out." she said turning off the lights. I laid down on the table while she rubbed the cold jelly on my stomach.

"There's the heartbeat" she pointed to the monitor. I held Chase's hand tightly. "Now let's see if you're a boy or a girl."

I searched the monitor for a sign.

"See that right there." she pointed at the monitor "It's a boy" she announced. I smiled and looked at Chase for reassurance. He smiled and squeezed my hand.

"My son" he said proudly.

"Here's his fingers and that's his face" 

I looked into the baby's little face. His eyes were puffy and he had a little button nose. I stared at the screen in awe until the doctor turned it off.

"Everything looks fine. I'll go print out a picture for you." She said as she left the room.

"Chase." I called him and he looked over at me. "Why did you propose to me?"

He was obviously taken aback by the question.

"W-what do you mean? Because I love you."

I sighed knowing this was the answer he'd give me but I wanted the truth. Kai's words from the night of the accident still rang in my head. I knew she was probably only saying it to hurt me but could it be true?

"Why would you ask me that?" He asked.

"When did you decide to do it?" I pushed.

"I-I don't know..." He stuttered. "Where's this coming from?"

"I just want to know. Did you ask me to marry you just because I was pregnant?" I stared at the floor afraid to look up at him.

"Hey. Sheilah." He said and I glanced up at him "I love you. And I wouldn't have asked you if I didn't" he lightly touched my cheek and then kissed my lips gently.

I sighed relieved.

"I think we should move in together."

***

Paige swore that she wasn't upset that I was moving out. But she was afraid. It was written all over her face. When I told her I was moving in with Chase she acted like she didn't care but now that the day was here it was obvious that she was torn up about it.

"Don't forget to call me." She reminded me while helping me and Iris move boxes to my car.

"I will" I said for the eighth time.

"And take your prenatal vitamins and eat healthy."

"I got it" I told her again.

"And-" 

"Paige chill out." Iris said.

Paige had somehow convinced Iris to move in with her so she wouldn't be alone. I was happy and nervous about the situation. On one hand at least Iris would be there to look out for Paige but who would look out for Iris? She was sweet but I worry.

"And you two don't burn the place down please." I said jokingly

"Don't worry there are smoke alarms everywhere." Iris assured.

When all the boxes were moved Paige stood outside.

"Just go" she held up her hand "I suck at goodbyes so please just spare me and go." She looked broken up so I drove away without another word as I watched her in the rear view mirror.

(A/N: Hey thanks for reading. Sorry about the short chapter. The next one will be longer and full of drama and hopefully on time. Please vote, comment, and share :D Love you <3)