☂️Chapter 8☂️

Start from the beginning

《•••The Present•••》

There they were, seven of the eight Hargreeves children, together with their mother and Pogo, walking out into the rain. Almost all of them took out a black umbrella, except for Luther, who was carrying the urn with Sir Reginald's ashes; Diego, who let the rain soak him and Klaus, who's umbrella wasn't black, but see through with a pink outline. Kiara didn't had an umbrella walking out of the door either, but she used her powers to make a black one appear in her hand before she opened it and shielded herself for the rain, trying to keep her hair- that was in a messy bun- dry.
     They all gathered by Ben's grave, which had his statue on top of it and gave the illusion that he was there as well. Standing with his siblings in the rain. Little did they know that Ben's spirit was actually there, only no one but Klaus could see him. 
     "Did something happen?" Grace asked, looking around her, seeming confused by everything. Allison, who was standing besides Diego, which was standing beside their mother, answered Grace's question.
     "Dad died. Remember?"
     The smile on Grace's face disappeared and turned into a frown, "oh.... Yes, of course."
     Kiara lay a hand on her mother's arm, "it's okay mom." She said smiling at the woman, who smiled back.
     "Is Mom okay?" Allison asked Diego.
     "Yeah, yeah, she's fine." He answered, "she just needs to rest. You know, recharge." Only even Diego himself didn't seem convinced of his own words. 
     Pogo, who had been standing a little more away from the rest, slowly walked forwards. His walking stick supporting his old legs. Luther and Pogo looked at each other for a moment before Pogo opened his mouth. "Whenever you're ready, dear boy." Luther nodded once before he walked to the front of the messy half circle of people. He opened the urn in his hands and turned it to the side so the ash of their father fell out. But instead of the remains floating away, it fell to the ground, forming a sad looking grey pile in front of Number One's feet.
     "Probably would have been better with some wind..." Luther said.
     "Does anyone wish to speak?" Pogo suggested, after all it was a memorial service. The siblings stayed silence, the only sound being the constant ticking of the rain on the umbrellas.  "Very well," Pogo said eventually, deciding he was the one who would've to start. "In all regards, Sir Reginald Hargreeves made me what I am today. For that alone, I shall forever be in his debt. He was my master and my friend, and I shall miss him very much." A short moment of silence fell again, before Pogo continued. "He leaves behind a complicated legacy-" 
     "He was a monster," Diego interrupted, earning a laugh from Klaus and Kiara, but a glare from Pogo, Allison and Luther. Vanya, on her turn, just looked at her adopted brother, not showing her real emotion, but only Kiara didn't need that to know she was offended by Diego's words. "He was a bad person and a worse father," Diego continued. "The world's better off without him."
     "Diego!" Allison bit at him, wanting him to stop disrespecting their dead father, but Diego wouldn't have it.
     "My name, is Number Two. You know why?" Allison looked down, knowing where this was going. "Because our father couldn't be bothered to give us actual names." The already bad atmosphere got worse as Diego continued, making Kiara more on edge than she already was. "He had Mom do it."
     By the mention of her name, Grace spoke up, a smile plastered on her red lips once more, "would anyone like something to eat?" 
     "No, it's okay, Mom." Vanya answered.
     "Oh, okay." Grace said, nodding her head slightly before going back to staring off into space.
    "Look, you wanna pay your respects? Go ahead." Diego continued while walking forwards, "but at least be honest about the kind of man he was."
     "You should stop talking now," Luther said while glaring at his brother, his voice sounding threatening. Only Diego wasn't threatened at all. He just squinted his eyes at the big man, considering his next words.
     "You know, you of all people should be on my side here, Number One."
     Kiara sighed, shaking her head before turning to Vanya, who was standing beside her. "This is not gonna end well," she mumbled, feeling the tension, irritation and anger becoming stronger again. Always the anger with those two... Kiara thought while the bickering in front of her continued.
     "I am warning you," Luther said, taking a step to his brother, but so did Diego who wouldn't let Luther stop him.
     "After everything he did to you? He had to ship you a million miles away."
     "Diego, stop talking." Luther said through cringing teeth, but of course it didn't help at all.
     "That's how much he couldn't stand the sight of you!" Diego raised his voice while aggressively slamming his finger against Luther's chest. That was the last straw, Luther grabbed Diego's arm, pushing it down before swinging his arm in an attempt to hit him in the face. But Diego ducked away, resulting in Luther trying again with his other arm. This time, Diego stepped backwards and Luther missed again. Everyone backed away while Number One and Number Two kept trying to hit each other. Kiara stretched out her arm, forcing Vanya to get behind her while at the same time, Klaus did the same by Five. Only Five wouldn't have it and slammed Klaus's arm away.
     "Boys, stop this at once!" Pogo raised his voice, but got completely ignored.
     Luther got one hit in, forcing Diego backwards while he screamed once, "come on, big boy!" Diego provoked his brother, who grunted before taking another swing. Diego used this to duck away, making Luther lose balance, which gave Diego the opportunity to get to him. Two started slamming in on Luther's back.
     "Quit it guys!" Kiara yelled, but of course she also got ignored.
     "Hit him! Hit him!" Klaus chimed in, cheering on one of his brothers, but it wasn't clear which one and it didn't seem like he cared about that at all. While Diego kept slamming into Luther, Pogo sighed and scoffed while shaking his head, walking away from the fight, making his way back inside. In the mean time, Luther recovered himself, he grabbed Diego by his coat, trowing him a few feet away. Diego quickly crawled back up, while Luther made his way to him.
     At this point, Kiara was done with it. She jumped in front of Diego, "stop it!" She bit at her brother, only Luther didn't care. He stormed passed her, pushing against her chest to get her out of the way, which resulted in Kiara flying into the bushed behind her since Luther had used too much strength.
     She groaned as Vanya helped her up, "are you okay?" She asked.
     "I'm fine," Kiara said, sounding pissed while she dusted of her now wet clothes.
     "Get off me!" Diego tried to yell at his brother, but his voice was muffled since Luther was holding him up by his throat. Luther didn't let go until Diego used both fist to slam in on his arm, forcing him to. They both panted heavily as they walked a few feet way from each other.
     "We don't have time for this," Five's voice could be heard before he also turned around and walked back inside.
     For a moment, Kiara thought the two were done, but of course Diego had to start it again. "Come here, big boy!" He shouted. Luther charged at him, ready to hit him straight in the face with all he had, only Diego ducked away again and instead of Diego, Luther hit Ben's statue, which fell off the stone pedestal. The moment it hit the ground, the head of the statue broke lose from the body.
    "Oooh..." Klaus whined while Kiara groaned.
    "Really guys?"
     Allison sighed, "and there goes Ben's statue." She said before walking back inside, being completely done with it all. 
     Kiara turned her attention back to her two brothers, wanting to lecture them, but only then she noticed Diego pulled one of his knives out of his belt. "Diego, no!" Vanya called out, also seeing the knife in his hand. Only Diego didn't listen and before anyone could do anything, the knife was thrown. The sharp blade cut through Luther's jacket and sweater, leaving an open wound on the man's arm. Luther immediately covered the place with his other hand.  It fell silent again, except for the sound of the rain and the panting of Luther and Diego. Luther locked eyes with Diego one more time before making his way back inside. 
     "You never know when to stop, do you?" Vanya asked Diego, walking up to him. Diego shook his head almost unnoticeable before cocking his head so he could look Vanya in the eyes.
     "You got enough material for your sequel yet?" He asked, not bothering to answer her question. Kiara was about to step in, but Vanya answered herself.
     "He was my father, too," she sounded sad. She was sad. Just like all the others. Without saying anything else, Vanya walked back inside. Kiara, who had lost her umbrella the moment Luther had pushed her, had walked to Ben's statue, pushing it back up on it's feet while Diego took their mom back inside. Klaus, who had been sitting on one of the stone benches, got up and walked to the hope of ash on the ground.
     "I bet you're loving this," he said while he squatted by the pile. "Hmm? The team at its best." Kiara heard her brother say as she took the head of Ben's statue off the ground. "It's just like old times...." Klaus continued while she took out a sharpy, pulled off the cap with her teeth and drew a gas burner on her arm. She placed the head back on the neck, before taking off her right glove, summoning a flame from her fingertips and started to weld the two pieces back together.
     "Best, funeral, ever." Klaus said as he walked up to Kiara, who had just finished fixing the statue.
     "Tell me about it," she mumbled while turning her attention to Klaus. "But on the bright side..." Kiara started, but fell silent as she couldn't think of a bright side. The two chuckled, "yeah, okay. Never mind. This sucks." Kiara walked to the stone bench Klaus had been sitting on before and sat down with a deep sigh. She pulled out what was left of the messy bun her hair had been in and closed her eyes, tilting her head back, letting the rain fall in her face.
     "Well, little Number Five is back," Klaus stated, sitting down beside his friend. "That's a bright side."
     Kiara hummed, "true. Except for the part that he lived in a future for the past 40 years, that apparently is more fucked up than the world we live in right now." She answered without opening her eyes or turning her head. It fell silent again, no other sounds than the rhythmic sound of the raindrops. Only unlike the silences that had been falling before, this one wasn't awkward, it was a comfortable, peaceful silence. 
     "You know what's funny?" Kiara started after some time, looking down while she put her right glove back on. "After all Reginald has done to us, I actually miss the son of a bitch." A scoff escaped her mouth, "I hate it."
     It took Klaus some time before he responded, "I think everyone does miss the old prick in their own way. Even Diego."
     Kiara chuckled joyless, "I know he does. And it makes him angry. Not just him. Luther is angry as well. They really need to stop takin' it out on each other though."
     This time Klaus chuckled, "that's not gonna happen." 
     "No shit." Kiara stated before standing up, "I'm gonna take a shower." She said while walking back into the direction of the door.
     Klaus quickly stood up as well, a smirk on his face, "can I join?"
     This time, Kiara did laugh shortly, turning back to face him. "Maybe next time," she said with a wink and a teasing smile.
     "Is that a promise?" Klaus asked, his own smirk growing, reaching his eyes now as well. Earning another laugh from Kiara as she held the door open for him.
     "Is it ever?" She asked.
     Klaus closed his umbrella and walked inside while growing dramatically, "no, but it should be!" 
     "Of course you think so," Kiara said while shaking her head, making her way up the stairs.