F O U R

Stevie

"Stevie, I have some friend's I'm going to introduce you to at the party, is that alright with you?" Evie calls from the front, snapping me out of my trance. The entire ride I've been relatively quiet in contrast to Evie and Lottie, who have been catching up. It wasn't my place to speak, so I didn't and instead have been keeping my eyes on the subdivisions and the scenery. The subdivision we just turned into has some of the biggest houses I've ever seen, each one itself looking as if it could end world hunger. Some of the houses are kept so white that they don't even need lights to shine out in the dark.

"Yes, that would be wonderful. Thank you." I smile up at her as her deep brown eyes meet my gaze through the rearview window. Without even looking at her face, the way her eyes crinkle tells me she's smiling too.

My eyes trail over towards the left and I find a black iron gate surrounding one of the biggest mansions I've ever seen. The entire back side of the property is covered with trees for privacy, but between the leaves, lights flash out, looking like glitter.

The mansion itself is comprised of big, dark grey bricks varying in their color giving it a classy look, but also reminding me of a castle. Many windows line the outside of the property, all lined in the brightest white shade that's heightened by the dark exterior. The home is encased by an even darker grey roof, but it seems to draw the entire thing together. Above the dark brown double front doors lies a balcony, held up by white pillars. Just beside those begin the garden, lined with many deep green hedges and bushes on the outer edges, but on the inside lies bright red roses. The circular driveway in the front is huge, paved with a light grey brick. In the center lies a beautiful fountain, lined with tan brick, hedges, and pink flowers. The driveway is packed with sleek cars without any visible smudges, dust, or even mud. Without any lights, they'd still shine in the moonlight, and I have a feeling I could see my reflection perfectly in any of them.

"Hello ma'am," The guard calls at the gate's entrance from a little speaker on the wall. Flashes go off on my right causing my head to snap in the direction of the lights. It suddenly hits me who's waiting outside the closed gates, the paparazzi.

What kind of a party is this?

As soon as Evie gives her name along with Lottie, the gates swing open just enough for her car to go through. The only spots open are in the back of the driveway, which is a good thirty to forty feet away from the actual front door. When she parks, I open my door and step out, greeted by the sweet smell of roses and the cold nighttime air. Goosebumps rise starting on my legs and going up before encasing my whole body.

Lottie, Evie, and I walk up the driveway side by side. The look of confidence in their stride and posture makes me do the same to look as if I belong there. People also walking in stare at us as we glide by, but my eyes stay on the front door. If I were to dare to meet someone's gaze, my façade would crumble at my feet.

Two servants stand at the door dressed in black tuxes. When we approach, they smile at us as a greeting before each taking a handle and pushing the doors open. It's hard to keep my jaw from falling open at the sight in front of me.

It's hard to see anything from the number of people standing in perfectly ironed tuxes and gorgeous dresses in front of me. Most are holding glasses of bubbling champagne or wines of varying colors, probably costing more than the most expensive thing I own. In the background, the beautiful voice of Frank Sinatra plays, giving the environment even more life than it previously had.

In contrast to the varying colors, the walls are coated with a creamy tan, while the floors are coated in marble. Any furniture is shielded from my eyes, but in the back, I can tell there's supposed to be a fireplace, which has a painting of a woman in red just above the mantle. In the white painted wood are various carvings, giving it a vintage and elegant vibe. The entirety of the back and side wall is lined with windows with curtains drawn to reveal other rooms on the left side and the back yard on the back side. A giant chandelier hangs in the center of the room like some kind of high-class disco ball, crystals sparkling with every movement you make.