Chapter Four - Reeling

"What did we even steal?" I yelled over the phone, slipping through the alleyways that lead to my apartment, crawling through a hole in the fence before hopping onto the dumpster that gave me enough height to reach the fire escape. The town was far from quiet; engines roared, drowning out the scent of the night with thick smoke as police sirens lit up the sky - even the ground below me rumbled as a train passed through the subway. I continued climbing, my phone tucked into my pocket, earphones plugged in with Big Boy on the line.

"Ritalin," He answered. The sound of the sirens was far closer to him than me, but he seemed calm. Of course, he did. He must have been home free by now - so far into his territory that not even the police would dare go for just some pills. "It's getting rather popular with college kids."

"I hope this is well worth it. That was far too close." I continued, climbing the ladder to the fourth floor.

"It will be. Alli." Big Boy spoke, his voice taking up that serious tone again.

"Yeah?"

"Did you get ID'd by that cop?"

I paused on the last few rungs of the ladder, considering how I should answer the question. "No," I finally responded, "He must have mistaken me for someone else."

"For your sake, I hope so, Alli." He spoke before hanging up, leaving me feeling as if I blade had been suddenly jerked out of my chest. I inhaled the sharp air as I hopped onto the balcony, pushing open the open window. Light spilt through the curtain to the outside.

"Thank God, you're safe," Haylee spoke, rushing towards me, her eyes wide and teary. "I heard the sirens and got really worried."

"I'm okay. I couldn't sleep so I went for a run." I wasn't exactly lying, I told myself. I was simply telling half of the truth.

"Why the window, though?" She asked, looking at the open window. "Didn't want to wake me?"

"Yeah," I said, drifting towards the TV that had been blaring on the news channel through static. The business sector. A blonde haired woman stood in front of a large concrete building with the words Grace Industries plastered in the front. She turned to the building before speaking.

"Unless you've been living under a rock for the last three years, you're probably tired of hearing the name Damien Grace on every news station, but this CEO has been making-"

I turned off the TV, massaging the bridge of my nose as Haylee stepped behind me, placing her hand onto my shoulder. I turned to her, forcing a smile.

"What's the matter? Hate the rich?"

"Something like that," I answered. "Look, I need to take care of something. I'll be with you in a bit, okay?"

She shrugged, dropping down onto her bed as I grabbed my bag and went to the balcony, shutting the window behind me. I reached into my bag, pulling out an old envelope and opened it, tipping out its contents. Drivers license, student ID and my old ID. I picked it up, looking at the girl with a sense of longing. Her eyes glittered with excitement, and even more with the flash of the camera. Dark hair that somehow suited her, despite looking unnatural.

I sighed, pulling out my lighter as I gave the girl on the phone a final look before setting the pile on fire. "Sorry, Dawn. I can't be you any longer."

It flickered brightly, burning with black smoke as the plastic covering twisted in on itself. My heart sank with a feeling of hollowness when I realized what I was doing. I was burning the last ties I had to my old life - objects that I once held on me at all times. I continued watching as it burned, the fire dying down to a thin line of heat that crept across the cards slowly.

I drew out my phone, opening it to Big Boy's contact before typing a message and sending it. "I'm leaving town for a bit. Don't look for me," Then tossed my phone over the balcony, watching it crash into the ground four stories below.

"Uhm, Alison, we have guests." I heard Haylee speak through the window as I sighed, moaning to myself before hopping through. She stood with her shoulder in front of me as if she were trying to protect me from the two strangers who came into our room. Only, one of them wasn't strangers.

"Uncle Ian," I spoke softly as the man placed his gun back into his holster. His face had been slightly swollen from the kick I've planted on him earlier but he seemed fine, thankful. He placed his hand onto his partner's shoulder, a woman much younger than him, and nodded.

"I'll handle it, Trisha," He spoke grimly. "What happened to you, Dawn? The school phoned your dad three years ago, claimed you must have been dead."

"They weren't wrong," I spat back, scanning the room for a way to fight back, for a way out. The lampshade, maybe. Haylee stared at me, confused and I settled down. I can't do this to her. Can't let her see that side of me. "You here to arrest me?"

"I don't have a choice." He admitted, stepping closer.

"Whoa, whoa, wait! What the hell is going on?" Haylee yelled, throwing herself between my uncle and myself, her arms held wide apart.

"Haylee," I smiled, "It's okay. No more running. There's a leftover roast chicken in the oven. Take care of yourself, okay?"

I stepped forward, walking past Haylee as Ian clipped the cuffs on my wrist.