The Angel and The Demon

I was an atheist before I met him.

The ropes burn, having taken off at least the first few layers of my skin. The gag is drenched in my spit, and more than likely, some blood as well.

He claimed to be someone he wasn't.

I was being left alone for the night. I was left to lay in my own blood, sweat, and tears. I was alone and there was no one to save me.

I was paying the price for believing such a stupid lie.

The doors swing open. 

"Showtime." 

________________________________________________________

- A few weeks prior -

_____________________________

________________________________________________________

When I was invited to the manor originally, I thought it was simply due to the fact I was an old friend of Damien's. As the Mayor, he didn't think it would be appropriate to go without a 'secretary' of sorts, or at least that was his pitch to ask me.

Last time I had been here, there had been a murder. The detective was shot by the colonel, or at least that's what the reports released. The colonel said it was self defense, and due to the fact that he was an old friend of Mark's, the judge believed him. That and the detective's corpse had been found with a gun.

I had left with Tyler, the butler, after he said it wouldn't be safe to stay. Strange enough, my vision began to blur on the way out. My head felt like it was splitting in half, and I remember Tyler having to hold me up by my waist to keep me going. Not my proudest moment. I was going back now, about a year later. Apparently the Colonel still lives there, and I wanted to ask him a few questions.

The taxi parks at the end of the drive, and I step out, looking up at the mysterious manor. After pulling out my suitcase, I take another look at the building as the driver takes his leave. It's outlook was as breathtaking as it had been, but the aura had definitely changed. It seemed darker, more menacing. Of course, I didn't care.

Walking up the hill, I felt my anxiety rise. It wasn't that far to the door; should I just head back? My gut was definitely screaming at me to get out of there; there was something powerful here, though I wasn't quite sure what. God, it had been a year, why was I so nervous?

I make it to the door, my suitcase beside me. I knock on the door, clasping my hands in front of me nervously, messing with the ring on my right hand. My mother had given me the ring I wore on my right middle finger as a good luck charm. I suppose it's worked through the years, but what did I know? Maybe it was superstition.

The Colonel opens the door, and grins under his large mustache. "My dear! So good to see you; please, do come in!" He ushers me inside, and I could hardly get a word in as he pulls my bag in, shutting the door. "It's been so long since I've seen you! Please, do come in- Tyler! Fetch the lady some water!" The Colonel hasn't changed a bit, even in this time.

"It's been a while- how have you been?" I manage, though meekly. I never was good at interrupting people, and with someone as unstable as him, it was a little harder.

"A lots happened since you escaped with Tyler those years ago-" He cuts off, as Tyler walks into the room with water on a platter. I personally felt bad for him, as it seemed like servitude was all he knew. I take it, before hugging him a bit. He seemed shocked at first, but hugged back. He whispered something softly, and I smiled, before pulling away.

"Did you have a funeral for the detective..? And what of Mark, did we discover his killer?" I look up at the Colonel, whose eyes seemed to darken. He adjusts his glasses, before responding.

"We did have a funeral, shame you couldn't attend. Mark... you'll have to see for yourself. Tyler, bring this lady to her lodging. She will meet the other guest in due time later this evening. I'll be in my study." His words were fast paced, and he brushed past me before walking briskly out of the room.

Tyler sighs, and takes my suitcase, before I stop him. "I can get it, I know dealing with him couldn't have been easy." A small smile forms at his lips, before he gestures towards the staircase.

"After you."

Later that evening, I found myself wandering through the halls, reliving old memories. I wondered what happened to Damian; what happened to Celine. My fingertips brushed against the old wallpaper, my bare feet against the hardwood floors lightly thumping with each step. The scent of ancient dust was oddly comforting.

"Lost, are we?" A male voice makes it's way into my senses, and I whip around, meeting eyes with a tall man. His hair was long and white, his eyes a dark brown, almost black. I wasn't sure how he got his hair to be such a pure white color, he didn't seem old.

"N-no," I stammer, taken aback at his sudden appearance, "Just going through some old memories." He could sneak up on someone easily.

"My name is Malak; pleased to make your acquaintance." He takes my hand, kneeling to kiss it. My cheeks felt warm; I couldn't be blushing from that, could I? I just met the man!" He stands, looking into my eyes yet again. "And yours is..?" He inquires.

"J-Jaidyn," I manage, and his lips curl into a smile.

"I assume I'll be seeing you around, Jaidyn." And with that and a flick of snow white hair, off he strode to the endless halls of the manor.

That man was strange, but seemed familiar. I didn't remember running into him, so he must be new. Turning around, I run right into a chest. I take a step back, looking up. "M-Mark?"