Chapter 5 - The Three

Start from the beginning

"Yeah . . . . . , I remembered moron. One more thing, your kindness is going to be your undoing one day." Mumbled John to himself at Robert who was far gone. Sitting slightly up, he turned to look at Black, "so, the situation was that dire that you took upon yourself to protect your men huh? Five days? That's a record, even for you. I am sorry for your lost." Offered a somewhat remorse John as he recall his rudeness.

"Thanks," was the one word of appreciation that was heard coming from a sleeping Black. Smiling slightly John went back to sleep.

Having already been in full armor he was on his way to Smith. "Smith? Oh no, I forgot to ask the messenger for direction." Scratching his head, he addressed the nearest soldier, "where can I find Lieutenant Smith?"

"Oh, morning Lieutenant Robert. Already rested I see," said the cheerful soldier. "I think he might still be resting sir."

"No his awake, his keeping an eye on the beast." Informed Robert to the soldier.

"Ah, in that case Lieutenant Smith lies at the middle of the camp. Head straight toward the middle of the camp than take a right toward the tree lines. Keep going until you see a downslope within the forest. While you're at the top of the hill, you should see the men below guarding the beast." Informed the soldier.

"Thank you very much, dear sir," said Robert with a slight bow of the head in sign of gratitude. Heading down what was now the main path that separated the left side and right side of the camp, he made his way toward the center. "That should be about correct. Now a right I take from here." But before he could take a right, he stomach started growling just as soon as he smelled a delicious boar being roasted. "Boar, my favorite! And with just about the right seasoning!" exclaimed the lieutenant. Looking around, he tried to scout which of the men were roasting such delicacy so early in the morning. Following the strong power of his nose, he spotted the culprits. A group of soldiers were gathered in circle as one of them was slowly turning the boar over a warm fire. "Yum!" thought he.

Approaching the men he cleared his throat, "how much for the whole thing?" he demanded.

"How much?" interject the men roasting the boar, while the men surrounding him turned around to see a lieutenant behind them. Startled they quickly formally greeted Robert, "good morning Lieutenant Robert, sir!"

Ignoring the men, Robert was fixated on the juicy boar. "How much?" he repeated himself.

"Seriously, you would think that lowly of me, lieutenant?" said the soldier whom stayed sitting despite the fact that the others stood to greet the lieutenant. "I mean come on Robert, I knew you didn't think much of me, but come on to think I'll just hand over my food cause you're willing to pay?" continued the man. His casualness was making his companion uneasy for, though Robert was known for his kindness, he was also known for his impatience.

Signaling the soldier to move so he could get a good look at the man who was brave enough to speak to him in such a manner, he squinted his eyes at him. The man, at this point still refused to look at Robert. "We shall have a duel than," offered Robert to the man.

"Seriously Robert, how many times do I have to tell you of the authority you hold as a lieutenant. What I am do you? I am certainly not of your rank, so what don't you force me to give it to you?" complained the man.

"That would be unfair and an abuse of power," returned Robert.

"Urgh, I give up you're a hopeless case." Said the man. Not the other soldiers who were still at this point standing as straight as a needle, in fear of their life for their comrade lack of respect, started to creepily sidestep away from the lieutenant and the cook. Neither the lieutenant nor the man roasting the boar noticed when the disappeared out of sight.