Chapter 1: Last Straw

AN: Sloane "Vyper" in media

"Sloane McBrennan," said a monotone voice from the front of the room I was sitting at. I looked up from my phone to find an old lady crooking her finger towards herself in a gesture for me to come forward. I groaned, pushing myself up and walking over. I looked over the counter and down at her.

"You're to see Mr. Faust now," she said sourly. I sniffed in disdain, walking deliberately slow towards the door that led to his office. "Ms. McBrennan, he doesn't have all day. Get going!"

Rolling my eyes, I walked quicker to the door. I twisted the doorknob and was met with a lovely looking office. It was done in shades of grey, white, and black. It was as clean cut as an FBI agent's suit and desk was situated in the far right corner of the room. A man sat behind it with his fingers in a steeple position. Thinning his lips, he made a gesture for me to sit down at the chair across from him.

Sighing, I took a seat. "Let's make this quick, I got places to be," I said to him, leaning back, crossing my arms and slumping back in the chair.

The man, Mr. Faust, sighed as well, "Can you please sit correctly?"

In response to that, I propped my sneakered feet up on the edge of the desk. "Like I said before, make it quick... Please."

"Sloane, do you know why you're here?" Mr. Faust asked. I shrugged, shifting my feet. The action caused dry dirt to flake onto the pristine white of the desk. Mr. Faust frowned at me, making it a scene to wipe the dirt off.

"You broke a printer with a punch," he reminded me.

Like I had really forgotten; I usually choose the silent way to deal with my principal. It was the best way to gain his sympathy. "Why, Sloane? Why?" he asked me.

I shrugged again, staring past his shoulder into the distance. Mr. Faust placed his hands on the desk, taking a deep breath. I knew what was coming; it happened the exact same every day I was in here. He would give the whole spiel about how he cared about me. Then he would mention why my parents made me move out when I was a junior last year. Next he would tell me that I was the only student he would be lenient for. Lastly, he would tell me to do better next time and dismiss me.

It was textbook simple, that principal...

"Okay, Sloane. This is it. I'm writing you an OSS," the principal told me, reaching for the drawer on the left side of his desk.

My stomach dropped angrily. I stood up, knocking the chair I was sitting in over. "What!? No!" I yelled indignantly. "Four years of you being nice to me and now you're treating me like I'm just another kid?!"

"You are just another kid. I'm not obligated to do anything for you!" Mr. Faust told me calmly. I felt anger boil up inside of me, and I had to force myself not to punch my principal. I clenched my fist instead. The principal finished writing my sentence and held out his hand, the piece of paper in it. He actually thought I was going to take it.

"Hell no! I'm not gonna serve it! I'm coming to school every day no matter what you tell me to do!" I retorted, swiping the slip of paper out of Mr. Faust's hand.

"Sloane McBrennan, you will serve this OSS or I will make you!" Mr. Faust yelled, shoving the slip into my hand, making it slam against my chest. I shoved it back towards him.

"The next time you touch me that printer won't be the only thing that's broke !" I hissed. Mr. Faust's usually serene brown eyes sparked in sudden anger.

"Go. Home," he whispered, deathly quiet.

I made a pouty face, "Aw, I'm sorry. I can't. That would be limiting my education." I smirked when I saw his jaw clench up. I hadn't gotten to him like this and boy did it feel satisfying.