Chapter 14: Turf War

"Oh, fuck me," I muttered, bristling. I hadn't wanted, or expected, another run-in with Wraith so soon after the first one. I wasn't nearly ready to defend myself against him should he choose to act violently. The best thing I could hope for was a quick K-O, or that I could run faster than him; but judging by the smugness on his face and the tightness of the leg muscles straining against the joggers he wore, I knew neither of my hopes would probably come true.

Besides, even if I had a prayer against just Wraith, a bunch of other boys, who I assumed were his gang, the Banes, hovered behind him.

"Shouldn't I take you out to dinner first?" chuckled Wraith, smiling lazily, though it reminded me more of a drifting alligator than an overfed housecat.

"What the hell do you want?" Zero growled, stepping up to stand beside me. I knew Angel remained hovering a little behind me, glaring daggers at Wrath all the while.

Wraith kneeled down over Ace, his right hand fisting in the hood of the unconscious boy, and lifting him up with ease. The renegade held Ace up with as little effort as I would hold a newborn puppy, turning Ace from side to side, as if he was studying a new species of fish.

"The brothers. I want the brothers," he replied. His head turned to us, and I couldn't tell which one of us he was looking at. Was me, Angel. or Zero?

"No! I don't know why, but you're not getting either of them!" Angel exclaimed, stepping up as well. I craned my head to check behind me, but found that Madd had disappeared and was no longer behind us. I frowned, turning my head back to Wraith

"Listen, I don't expect any of you to understand where I'm coming from, but it's of the utmost importance," Wraith said, his voice dripping sarcasm. I understood why though; it was because he, like me, wanted a Hound and his brother on his side. It was a power move, one that could insure some form of security, at least for a short while.

"Whatever, Wraith. We got to them first; first come, first serve," Zero snapped before I had time to speak. "You should know that by now. It's one of the first rules you learn in Deadlock."

I gave her a look; why was she being so aggressive and rude to him? Zero wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but she had enough sense not to push Wraith, who could probably take her out with a single blow.

Wraith's head shifted slightly, and I realised that he had turned his gaze to me, even though I couldn't actually see where his eyes were focused. "What about you, Vyper?" he asked. "What do you say about me wanting the twins?"

"You should know better than anybody that encroaching on territory isn't tolerated. Their part my gang, so their mine," I replied in an even tone, trying to keep the situation as calm as possible. We didn't need an unregulated fight; Snakebite would have both our asses.

Wraith fixed me with a cold, unblinking stare. I struggled to meet the gaze. "Listen, just hand them over and we'll be done here," he ordered. I shook my head, knowing that backing down from him now would only mean losing face in front of my friends, and my enemies.

Wraith frowned, the muscles in his jaw knotting momentarily. He tossed Ace towards me, and I struggled to keep the boy from smacking limply on the floor. I grunted with the effort, stepping backwards and wrapping my arms under his. I couldn't keep him upright, but I did lower him gently to the ground.

"I'll get them both," Wraith chuckled. "I always do."

He receded away, into the crowd of boys that was behind him. He flashed me a wink before he was lost in the knot of people.