The Sword's Song

The legends spoke of it, the myths whispered of it too; tales of a sword, forged in hope and wrought in despair, drawn out in light and quenched in darkness, made by a simple blacksmith, yet a blade so powerful that it could even destroy the Gods.

It is believed that the swordsman worthy of lifting this sword was a true warrior, one who would be rendered invincible. And those who survived the battles fought alongside this warrior, swore that they could hear the blade sing.

It was during the darkest battles, where the very existence of the world was threatened, that the blade would find its blade master, the warrior who would need it to fight the battle, to hope for a chance at victory. At least that is what was believed, for no battle seemed dire enough to have the blade appear in the last four thousand years.

Four thousand, one hundred and sixty five years after the last recorded tale of the battle,where the blade had appeared, sixteen year old Aindri, much to her shock and delight, discovers that the legends are true and the myths are facts. But then what the myths guarded was a fearsome secret; for the sword to be rendered powerful, it needed a sacrifice, a price to be paid, willingly...

_________________________

Genre: Fantasy (Novella)

Status: Completed

This novella was being written as an entry for the Open Novella Contest 2019 (#ONC2019). The contest involves writing a novella (between 20,000 to 40,000 words) based on one or more of the sixty five prompts provided. I read all of them, more than once, wondering to which I could 'connect' with and finally decided to go with this:

Fantastical Fiction #3 - Legendary Sword

There is a myth, a legend, about a swordsman and his weapon, a sword that has been said it could, "cut off the devil or even gods." But then all of them, after all, are just remnant of an old story with nothing to be proof. You soon forgot about it too, like everyone else. Until one day, you came across a man. He asked for help and you helped him, and to thank you, he gave you what he has with him: the sword that once belonged to the legendary swordsman. Would you take in his words? If it's really the legendary sword, what would you do with it?

______________________________

Note: As on date (April 23, 2019) it has qualified Round 3 to be included in the long list for ONC#2