Chapter Six

"What?"

"Dude, this makes perfect sense, see?" Max said as his eyes started to gleam again. "You're just shy and stuff, so you get flustered up easily and this is weird for you. So let's go on a date. Just chillin' with each other, how about that?"

Alvin didn't know what to say as his mind shimmered down from doubts. Max seemed really happy all of a sudden. It seemed like this snowboarder was convinced that Alvin's little outburst was because he was shy and a bit unsettled at this thought of dating someone.

Well, it wasn't a wrong assumption, Alvin mused in his mind, suddenly feeling a bit calmer than before. There, things seemed a bit brighter. He didn't know why but Max had the sense of making things lighter and less stressful, like right now. Alvin was still not sure about this but his doubts, his fears, everything that a boy such as himself shouldn't be thinking disappeared. Because right in front of him, Max was there.

"A date?" Alvin resigned himself to his fate after being in denial for almost forty-eight hours.

"Yeah," Max beamed brightly, once again colouring this moment with anything but grey, black and white. "We can go catch a movie. Or, I don't know, do whatever you like."

Alvin didn't know why this situation sounded so funny but it did. He ended up smiling, his panic washing off as if it was never there and his mind had reset itself by the end of it all. Max looked at him carefully before he smiled back, warmth radiating from them. "There you go. You looked like you were gonna puke at any moment just now."

"I was freaked out," Alvin admitted slowly as Max chuckled out.

"Don't worry, bro," he said before he placed his hand on Alvin's shoulder and squeezed it comfortingly. "Everybody gets like that whenever they find out they're dating Max Asher," Max teased as he gave out his grin as Alvin rolled his eyes at him.

"I would like to doubt that but I've seen your fangirls before," Alvin said as he mentally shuddered at them. After a while, silence filled in and suddenly, Alvin was quite aware at how close Max was. His hand was still on his shoulder and Alvin somehow was sitting in front of him, their knees almost brushing. This situation didn't settle well for Alvin and once again, panic started to rush in but before it could kill Alvin from within, Max had retreated his hand.

"Hey, can we try something new?" Max asked, as he caught Alvin's eyes again. Alvin's breath hitched as he stared into them, somehow realizing for the first time how Max's eyes sparkled under their brightly lighted room. Alvin thought he could see some stars in those eyes, shining just for him.

"What is it?" he asked, his voice sounding breathy for a moment before Max handed out his hand.

"Can we try holding hands?" Max said out slowly, his cheeks tinting slightly in red as Alvin's eyes widened.

"Holding hands?" Alvin croaked out as Max looked at him sheepishly, slightly embarrassed but there was something else in those eyes.

"Yeah," he said slowly as Alvin slowly darted away from Max's eyes and to the hand that was being held out at the moment. Silence embarked them on some thoughts but before Alvin could ponder on, he was staring at that hand. They seemed so warm and inviting. Sometimes, Alvin would catch himself staring at them, wondering what it would be like to touch them. But he didn't ponder on those thoughts for so long and now, he was just a breath away from fulfilling his secret fantasy.

Slowly, his fingers touched his palm. Tracing it gently, his fingers touched on the softness and yet strength hidden in those hands. Max remained quiet as he stared at what Alvin was doing. The young scientist, on the other hand, was somehow transfixed as his fingers touched his wrist and traced them, feeling some burst of joy inside even though Alvin didn't know why. His fingers traced out the lines inside of his palm for a moment before he placed his palm against Max's, his cheeks blazing red when he realised what he had done.

Max smiled softly before he clasped them tight, letting their fingers to intertwined for a moment. The warmth seeping through their bare skin was something new for the both of them. Max had dated before and he knew what type of warmth between someone's fingertips held but Alvin's was softer and gentler. Alvin found himself slowly getting addicted to this as he clasped tight as well, unsure to the thundering emotions swirling through him.

His heart was hammering against his chest, and he was having trouble breathing all of a sudden. Slowly, he looked at Max, and his breath hitched when he realized how close their faces were. He noticed all the distinct features of Max like how long his eyelashes were and how a bit pointed his nose really was. Alvin had this urge to slowly trace his face next and Max was just smiling at him, their eyes caught and each of them trying to search for something about this moment. Before Alvin realised it, he felt the distance between them lessening and Max was only a breath away.

His breath was ghosting heavily on Alvin's lips and the warmth was very inviting. It sent some cool chills down his spine as Alvin licked his lips, somehow catching Max's attention.

"Alvin?" Abby suddenly opened the door to their room, causing Alvin to snap out from his stance and pushed Max away, harder than necessary, making him to topple out of the bed and onto the floor with a painful thud. Abby quickly entered the room and eyed at Alvin warily for a moment before she saw Max jumping up from the ground and waved at Abby. "What happened?" she asked, sensing the awkward atmosphere before Max looked at her and grinned.

"Nothing much," he said casually before Abby rolled her eyes at him.

"So, what do you want Abby?" Alvin asked, finally calming himself down while Max distracted her for a moment.

"Oh, well," Abby said slowly as she looked at him. "Do you think you can help me with my homework later?" she said, somehow knowing that her brother was smarter than she was in these things. Alvin raised an eyebrow at her before he sighed and nodded. It was better that she left soon.

"Yes, I'll help after dinner," he said as Abby nodded.

"And speaking of dinner, it will be done in ten minutes," she said as both boys nodded their heads. With that, Abby eyed at them one more time and walked out of the room, closing the door behind her. The silence dawning on them was suddenly really awkward as Alvin shuffled on the bed slightly, his face reddening again as he looked at his hand, remembering what they almost did a few minutes ago.

They almost kissed.

Alvin didn't know if he should be mortified or flustered about this. However, Max seemed indifferent as he sighed loudly and looked at Alvin. "So, the date," he said as Alvin looked at him for a moment. "Wanna catch a movie?"

In the silence and awkwardness radiating from both of them, Alvin could only nod at that, the question not really registering in his mind. Instead, he was more concerned about what had happened. If he had just let things go on its own way, they would've kissed!

"Great!" Max said as he looked at Alvin. "I'm going to the kitchen to see if I can help and get a taste or two to calm my tummy. You coming, Shred?" Max asked as Alvin blinked a few times.

"Uh, no. You go first. I need to fix on the, you know, stuff," Alvin finished lamely as he avoided Max's eyes. Max just shrugged before he quickly walked out of the room, closing the door behind him. Soon, Alvin found himself drowning in this silence. Groaning, he covered his face with both of his hands.

"What am I going to do?"