thirty-six

Sheldon sat in the living room, his hands clasped together on his lap, going over and over in his head about what he was going to say when Leonard gets home. He just had no idea when he will get home.

He heard the sound of the locks twisting and unlocking, and in entered Leonard with a tired look.
His eyes immediately spotted Sheldon sitting in his designated spot and his eyes locking with his. Leonard sighed, hanging his work bag. He felt this heaviness on his chest the minute he walked in. Sheldon might be the most annoying, arrogant roommate in the world, but he was his best friend and Leonard felt like he had almost lost him. That feeling of being close to a loss like that stuck with him.

"Leonard," Sheldon greeted. "How was your day?"

Leonard was taken aback immediately. His eyebrows furrowed as he made his way to the kitchen to get a snack, "It was fine. Why?"

Sheldon scoffed, shaking his head, "I'm simply asking."

Then there was silence between them. Sheldon decided to start, "Leonard, I wanted to speak to you about yesterday."

Leonard, with his back facing Sheldon, stopped with what he was doing. Perhaps this was an apology. Yesterday had to be one of the worst fights they ever had, to the point where Leonard had an asthma attack.

He turned around and went to the lone couch to sit. He sat and looked at Sheldon, "Let's talk."

Sheldon cleared his throat, "I know I have caused unnecessary pain to you yesterday...and I am sorry. You and everyone else have tried to be there for me during this difficult time that, again, I have caused. I have taken you for granted. You don't deserve to be."

Leonard half-smiled, nodding as he listened.

"I feel as if I do not have enough words to describe my gratitude, but all I can say is I appreciate you. I hope you can forgive me."

Leonard cleared his throat and looked over at Sheldon, "I forgive you. But, I need you to know something."

Sheldon nodded.

"You are not a burden. You were never a burden. Yes, you attempted and..." Leonard's voice cracked. "And you're currently going through more challenges. Especially going to counseling which I am very proud of you for. That day...that day I thought I lost you. I have never felt so scared in my life, Sheldon. It felt like my life was falling apart. I need you to know that I truly care for you, I do. Please, don't ever do that again. I will be here for you until we are very old and I can't get up from this couch anymore. Do you understand?"

Sheldon's eyes were glossy, touched by Leonard's words. That man truly was his best friend, and he scared him that frightful day. The thought of losing him scared him.

The tall man got up from his seat and went over to Leonard and gave him a hug as he was still sitting. Leonard's eyes widened. But, he returned the awkward hug.

He'll accept this hug as if it would be the last.

_________

"God, the food here is so good," Eric gleamed as he stuffed his face with mashed potatoes.

Angela and her siblings were at a buffet eating dinner before they were to begin the night of festivities. It was unusual for the siblings alone to go on a trip together, but after their father passed away they figured they would begin a new tradition amongst them.

As Angela ate, Sandy looked over at her since she noticed that she had been very quiet since they've gotten there. Specifically, the beginning of the trip.

"How are you holding up, little sister?"

Angela sighed, "I'm fine."

Eric glanced at Sandy as he stuffed his face with food, "She's not."