Chapter Forty Five

Start from the beginning

“Oh thank god you’re awake” First was Jason who spoke. Yuri was in the hospital, she looked at Jason and then at Belle. They both were beside her, waiting for her to wake up.

“Where’s mom?” She was glad, she was still alive and breathing.

“Your mom is talking to Nick and your doctor” Belle replied guiltily. Yuri could hear her mom sobbing from outside as Nick tried to explain what was wrong with Yuri.

“No” Tears found its way back to Yuri. Now her mom knew about her condition and it was going to destroy her. This can’t be happening, why is this happening, why was life so unfair? Those were the same questions Yuri asked herself when she had first learnt about her alter, but Sasha was a miracle that she was lucky to have. Was dying a miracle too?

“Yuri!” Mrs. Williams exclaimed as she saw her and wrapped her arms around her tightly. “The doctors say they can’t do anything, we should – we should go to some other hospital and get help from the best doctors”

“Mom, there’s nothing anybody can do”

“But I can’t let you die, you’re my life” Mrs. Williams busted out crying. Yuri swallowed her tears, Jason ran outside and so did Belle. All of them were crying for Yuri.

“Mom, I’ll always with you, alive or not”

“Don’t say that! You’re not dying! You’re not leaving me!”

“I’ll never leave you, mom.” Yuri sobbed quietly.

“You knew all this time, how could you not tell me?” Mrs. Williams cried her heart out. “Why would you do that to me? There weren’t words that could describe how Mrs. Williams was feeling. “My daughter, my only daughter” She whispered as she rocked her baby back and forth.

“I’m so so—sorry” Yuri stammered trying to wipe her tears because they were blurring her vision.

“It’s not your fault honey; I am the bad person here, the bad parent. I am so sorry for not being there.” Mrs. Williams replied. Their sobs were silent now, but they were both still crying.

“It’s the thought that counts. I always knew you love me even if you were away”

“Oh honey, I’ll always love you. Promise me you’ll consider better treatment”

“There won’t be any treatment, mom. I don’t want to spend my last days in a hospital”

“We can try the impossible operation; they may be able to get the tumor out of your brain even though they say it’s impossible. Miracles do happen”

“My miracle has already happened, mom. I don’t need to die while a bunch of strangers are picking on my brain; I want to have a peaceful death with you by my side”

“You’re not dying! I won’t let you die!” Mrs. Williams shook her head disagreeing.

“Mom, the sooner you accept it, the better it’ll be. I know this is hard. Knowing that there will be someone to take care of you while I’m gone, makes me feel better. I’ll always be watching over you.”

Mrs. Williams bit her lips, “How do you expect me to accept this? You’re my only daughter. You’re a piece of me, how can I let you go?” She sniffled.

“It’s going to be alright” Yuri muttered slowly patting her mom’s hair. Although it should be Mrs. Williams who should be the one to comfort her, Yuri knew it had to be the other way around. Although it pained her, she felt slightly happy knowing that she was needed and loved by others.

-                                                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“You want to make a wish list?” Jason repeated Yuri. Yuri stared at Jason and Belle who stood beside her, she wasn’t still discharged, she was still in her hospital clothes, on her hospital bed with an IV plugged into her hand.

Yuri nodded. “I was thinking, if I’m dying, why not make it interesting?”

“Do you think this is a game?” Jason folded his arms and stared at her.

“Come on, you both are being ridiculous. Stop being so serious, enjoy this time with me! Now I want to make a wish list so go get a pen and paper and note them down” Yuri exclaimed.

“Why do you need a wish list for, you have Sasha. What else could you possibly want?” Belle blurted out her jealousy without thinking. Jason shot her a look, but Yuri replied back.

“Wish list number one : Get Belle’s forgiveness”

Yuri eyed Jason to write it down then looked back at Belle who looked stunned by her reply. “I have treated you like crap from the very beginning, when you were so nice to me. I know it isn’t going to be easy for you to forgive me instantly, so I’ll try to make it up to you with the little time that’s left, Belle. I hope in time, you’ll forgive me entirely for the mean things I have done to you. And I don’t need you to just say you have forgiven me because I’m sick, you know I don’t need that kind of pity. I just need you to forgive me, one day. If I could go back and change the way I treated you, I would. So I just want you to know that you were my friend back then, you really were even though I showed no appreciation. I am just so so sorry, Belle. I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me. And I hope you forgive her as well.”

Belle listened while Yuri spoke, and Yuri could see just how much Belle was overwhelmed by the truth. She excused herself and left the room. Meanwhile Yuri stared at Jason who looked as speechless as Belle was.

Wish List number two : Tell Jason that he’s an awesome ex” Jason smiled at this, he waited for Yuri to begin her speech but before she could there was a slight knock at the door.

“Yuri . . .” Her voice was hoarse but she walked towards Yuri and looked at Jason to give her some privacy. As soon as Jason left the room, Whitney stared at Yuri. She was still quietly panting, as if she ran to the hospital. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Who told you?” Yuri looked at Whitney, trying to wrap her mind about the whole school finding out about the brain tumor.

“Does it matter?”

“Why are you here?” It seemed rude to ask Whitney that question but considering their history, it seemed legit.

“Cant the doctors operate and fix it? Why can’t they find a cure? Did they find a cure?”

“Why are you here, Whitney?”

“I have a lot of reasons, which one would you like to hear first? The one where I feel like crap for treating you the way I did? The one where I loved each and every time we kissed? The one where I feel like your sickness is killing me more than it’s killing you? The one where I am trying to figure out why I have all these feelings for you? Or The one where I start questioning my sexuality because of you?”

“You like me?! But you were a bitch!” Yuri blurted out. Ironic, because Yuri had been a total bitch to Sasha as well before she realized she liked her. As they say, hate is a new form of love.

“I know I was, I just . . . I can’t believe I’m actually here saying this to you face to face. You have no idea how much I fantasize about you . . . I mean not like that, about telling you how I felt” Whitney stammered as she spoke.

“I don’t know what to say . . .” Yuri spoke back. The whole situation was sort of making Yuri grin a bit.

“That cold ass bitch” Sasha’s words made Yuri burst out laughing harder.

“Why are you laughing?” Whitney asked.

“It’s just funny how things turn out. I appreciate your honesty Whitney, I really do. But I’m in no position to help you when I can’t even help myself”

“I just wanted to tell you the truth. Everyone has their story; I just wished I was a part of yours”

“You are, Whitney. In a strange way, you are.”