A New Beginning

Author's song for the chapter:

Kaki King - Sad American (Live)

A month had passed since the team had faced Tahir Khaled, for the last time. Deeks, Kensi and Beale were at Callen's place for a relaxing dinner which Callen had to cook after losing a bet about who'd be the last one to show up at work.

Callen had also invited Sam, who had been off duty ever since the case ended. For the first time in a while, Sam had decided to meet his friends.

While Callen was at the kitchen cooking, others were at his living room talking and waiting. Deeks and Kensi sat on the couch next to each other, holding hands. Beale was catching up with Sam in general.

"By the way, where's Nell? I thought you guys would've come by the same ride." Sam wondered.

"Oh, Hetty kept Nell at work for some reason. She said she'd be a little late." Beale responded just as the doorbell rang.

"Speaking of which, I'll go get the door for her."

As Beale opened the door, a smile rose on his face. It was Nell who had rang the doorbell, just like he had thought.

"Hey." Beale greeted Nell.

"Hey." Nell responded and stepped in.

The duo walked together to the living room, where the rest had moved to the dinner table. Nell greeted them as they greeted her.

"What took you so long? You'd think it wouldn't take you this much time to get here, especially when we know how you drive." said Deeks.

"Hetty had some extra work for me but now I'm here, ready for a dinner. No fender-benders or mowed-down pedestrians anywhere." Nell snapped back, sitting down on her chair. The rest let out a laughter.

Callen walked to the living room, bringing two plates full of food.

"Ladies and gentelmen, may I present you the Callen's steak special with mashed potatoes and green salad." said Callen with a sarcastic tone in his voice.

"Are you hiding someone in the kitchen or what?" Sam asked jokingly.

"Had an accident and my head was pierced by a fork. Woke up as a five-star cook." Callen replied as he went back to the kitchen to get more food.

"Was that a Phineas Gage reference?" Nell asked.

"No clue what you're talking about." Callen replied with sarcasm.

"Expected fries and fried chicken with a beer but this'll do." Deeks mumbled with a surprised look on his face and cut a piece of his steak.

"What, you've seen Callen cook before?" Kensi asked.

"Nope. He just doesn't seem like the steak and wine type." Deeks replied.

"I never said anything about wine, Deeks." Callen said as he returned from the kitchen, serving Beale and Nell their meals.

"Touché." Deeks replied.

"Guys, what do you think if I'd suggest that we'd make this kind of evenings a thing? Ya know, if we don't have any ongoing cases and everyone has time." Beale said.

"Why not." Nell replied.

"Sounds great as long as the place and the cook will change every time." Callen said, serving Sam his dinner and then sitting down on his own chair, setting his plate of food in front of him.

"I'm in." Kensi said.

"What she said." Deeks mumbled with his mouth full of food.

"What about you Sam?" Callen asked.