1. Arthur's suggestion

He was polishing my armour. Deep concentrated, unlike me. I had a speech to write, but I couldn't even focus to write a single word as long as Merlin was in here.

Then he did the worst. He went down on all four and started to wash the floor.

"Damn." I whispered to myself.

"Language." Merlin chuckled. He heard me! DAMN! "Just because you can't write a single word, doesn't mean you're allowed to curse." He smirked.

"How did you know I couldn't focus?" I asked.

"You do know that when you write, it makes this sound when the pen get's dragged over the paper, and when you dip it in ink. No sounds and you staring off into nothing, you can't focus." Merin explains as he scrubs off the polish wax he spilled on the floor.

"You're right..." I put the pen down. "I'm supposed to have this finished by tomorrow..."

"What is it supposed to be about?" Merlin mocked my tone.

"I'm going to take away some punishments..." I mumbled tiredly.

"Then improvise. You know which punishments, and why, why do you have to write something when you're most likely going to ignore the paper anyway?" Merlin sat up, and looked at me with a smug grin. He knew he was right.

"Y-you're right..." I stuttered. That grin was a weakness. "Do I have any other duties to attend to?" I asked him.

"Training. In..." He looked out the window, thinking. "Now. Might as well hurry. You're helping Mordred with his throwing knife techniques."

"Right." I groaned. "Help me into my armour." I told him, and sat up.

"Of course, sire."

That struck me. Sire? Merlin never calls me sire unless something is wrong.

What can be wrong? Nobody's dead, so it can't be the death of an unknown friend. Gaius is healthy, so not that. Everyone is okay, why isn't he?

I was brought out of my thoughts when Merlin handed me my sword, also telling me he was finished.

"Good, Merlin." I checked over. Everything was in its right place. "The room will be clean when I return, I assume." I said before I walked outside, not waiting for an answer.

Mordred had trained some, but it was still awful. Percival had mastered his sword completely, and Gwaine was sober for once.

All in all, it was a succeeded practice.

I walked back to my chambers to see Merlin was just finished. "Good work, Merlin." I told him.

He just nodded, and undressed me.

When he was finished, he asked; "May I get the rest of the day off?"

"Why?" I asked.

"Eh... a bit of personal reasons..." he mumbled.

"I need a better answer than that to give you over half a day off." I told him.

He sighed heavily. "It's the anniversary of..." He gulped, "of my father's death..."

"Oh..." I sat back in realization. He doesn't talk much about his family. I didn't even know his father was dead. Is his mother too? No, I've actually met... Hunith? Was that her name? I... I don't even know Merlin's mother's name... Damn, and I'm supposed to be in love with this idiot. "Sure, Merlin." I smiled sadly at him. "May I ask why you didn't ask for time off last year on this date?"

We were looking for the Dragon Lord last year. He was with me.

"It was then he died... It's a year today..." Merlin avoided my eyes.

"I'm sorry, Merlin." I patted him on his shoulder. "Take the rest of the day off, it's alright."

"Thank you." He said, and left without even looking at me.

My eyes followed him. He wasn't even with his father when he died...

When I think of it. He seems sadder the past year... He's talking less and less, smiling fake smiles more than real ones. Is it because of his father? Is it something more?

Of course this rainstorm of thoughts ended in; How can I make Merlin feel better? And how can I make him fall for me?

I still throw things at him... maybe I should stop that? I can try to be nicer to him? He's nice, he'll like others that's nice. But how can I be nice?

The day goes by rather quickly as I spend most of it deep in thoughts.

"Rise and shine, your royal pratness." Merlin's voice sings before I'm blinded by light.

"Merlin..." I groan.

"Come on! Wake... up..." He tries to pull me off the bed. It is not working. He huffs. "Fine."

And my covers are gone.

"MERLIN!" I yell. It's cold. I'm only in my underwear. "Damn it!"

He's quiet for a long time. I open my eyes to see him staring at me. He suddenly snaps out of it as he meets my eyes, realizing I see him looking at me. "I tried to get you up." He shrugs, and walks off without taking my covers off the floor.

"If those are dirty, you have to wash them." I yell after him.

"What? No cup?" Merlin asked, hiding behind one of the posts at the end of my bed.

"Do you want be to throw a cup at you?" I sneer.

"Nah, it's only more to wash." And he walks off.

Nicer didn't work out too well... I have to try harder.