The Girl In The Wheelchair

Millie Bobby Brown was thirteen when she got in a car wreck losing the ability to use the nerves in her legs. She was now fifteen years old. She was just your normal average American citizen going to high school. Her life was basic, she hardly had any friends, and bullies loved her as their target.

"Sadie I swear he wants me dead." Millie stated about a bully known as John.

"He won't lay a hand on you. He just likes to scare you. And he probably likes you." Sadie laughed as she pushed her friend down the hallway of the locker hall. 

"Oh God no ew. Who could ever." Millie said. Suddenly they stopped as they saw the boy, the bully, John Walldrip throwing a new girl into the wall.

The girl socked him in the face kicked him and the gut and then held him in a choke hold.

"You touch me ever again and I'll snap your goddamn neck." She snapped and let him go. She had blonde hair pulled into a bun, glasses, beautiful blue eyes and she was wearing a black shirt, pants, combat boots, and a black leather jacket topping it off.

"Southside freak." John spat as blood dripped from his mouth.

"Eastside fatass." The girl said and spat on the floor next to him. She picked up her backpack and walked on as everyone stared.

"Sadie, Sadie follow her." Millie said. 

"God no." Sadie said.

"Why not?" Millie asked as Sadie continued rolling her. 

"You heard him. She's from the southside of town. She's fine as hell but I'm not getting involved in gang shit." Sadie said.

"That's a stereotype and a visual assumption." Millie stated looking up at Sadie with a grin.

"But your admitting that she looks gang-ish." Sadie said.

"No- I- I didn't say that!" Millie laughed.

"I'm pretty sure that's what you meant." Sadie giggled. Millie rolled her eyes. The school day went by and Millie never saw the girl in the halls or anywhere until P.E. when she and Sadie got called onto separate teams.

"Everyone, in groups of two." The coach called. As usual the two separate teams all teamed around and everyone had a partner but Millie.

"Hey you, your with Millie Brown." The coach said and pointed at a girl leaned up against the walls picking at her nails. Millie was too upset to look until suddenly someone was standing in front of her and crouched down.

"Hey, I'm Baylee." the girl said and extended her hand. Millie stared awestruck as the beautiful southside girl from earlier.

"I-I'm Millie. Millie Brown." Millie stuttered.

"Yeah I heard." Baylee laughed.

"Right..." Millie blushed. Baylee bit her lip a second.

"This is team dodge ball. The final team standing wins." the coach said.

"Standing..." Millie muttered. Baylee wheeled Millie over to the stands.

"Yeah I'll just sit out like I always do." Millie sighed.

"I had a different idea." Baylee said. Millie looked at her confused.

Baylee held out a hand and Millie took it. Baylee pulled Millie up and than onto her back in a piggy back ride. Millie held her arms tight around Baylee's neck.

"I- I'm not used to this..." Millie said.

"Just hang on and try to catch a ball if it comes. I'll get some and you can throw them how about that?" Baylee said. Millie smiled huge. Sadie grinned at the two from the other side.

"You are going down." Sadie mouthed smiling huge from  the other side. Millie whispered in Baylee's ear "The red head is my bestfriend we've got to get her." Millie whispered and as if she knew what she said Sadie put her hand on her own chest and pretended to be offended.

"Everyone line up. If your partner gets out you both are out for the game." The coach said.

Baylee crouched down ready to bolt.

"How in the world do you expect to run with me on your back?" Millie said.

"Just hang on and get ready to catch Brown." Baylee said. Millie swallowed and held on to Baylee wrapping her arms tight. The coach blew the whistle and the Southside girl got to the line of balls first easily. She kicked a ball up and Millie grabbed it and threw it at Sadie laughing and got her out everyone froze.

"I- I did it-" Millie gawked. Baylee turned her head smiling at her. Millie had tears in her eyes. Sadie came over and hugged Millie tight and Baylee had to catch her balance so she didn't fall.

"You three. Why don't you go to lunch early and celebrate." The coach smiled.

A lot of kids mumbled about how they wanted to get the southside scum but Baylee kept walking.

"Oh Sadie, my chair." Millie said.

"I got it." Sadie said and went to get it.

"Thank you so so much. I really owe you one. I haven't participated in P.E. in literally years." Millie smiled as she cried a little.

"Hey no problem. Thanks for not being entirely disgusted by me." Baylee said.

"Why would I be?" Millie said.

"Hm I don't know. I'm from the Southside, I'm a Johnson, I'm a freak." Baylee said.

"Your not a freak... although being a Johnson doesn't give you a good wrap..." Millie said.

Sadie interrupted by coming over with the chair.

"Alrighty Millie." Sadie said opening the chair.

"Uhm. I think I like it better up here." Millie laughed and hugged Baylee around the neck.

"Millie-" Sadie said and nodded at the chair. Baylee smirked and began walking.

"Come on Sadie... food awaits." Baylee laughed. Sadie laughed.