( xxvii. ) accident

"basically, he got really drunk and decided he didn't want me coming to la anymore. he tried to convince me not to come, but i argued with him and he got angry." alice explained quietly, "he didn't mean to hurt me, but he shoved me into the table while he was talking. when he woke up the next day, he was very upset and apologetic when he realized what he did."

"that's horrible, alice." daniel continued to cuddle the brunette, "i'm so sorry."

"it's okay, really. he never did it before, and i don't think he'll do it again." alice sighed. "when i texted you saying my dad took me out, i don't mean to a restaurant. my head hit the table and i was knocked out for a little while. he took care of me, as best he could being drunk, and made sure i didn't bleed, and that i stayed breathing."

"at least you know he cares." daniel didn't know what to say. he was dumbfounded; he had never dealt with abuse with any of his friends. he believed alice when she said her father didn't mean it, but still, daniel didn't enjoy the thought of her dad hurting her physically or mentally.

the pair stayed cuddling for another fifteen minutes before deciding to get up once they heard jack and zach fighting in the kitchen. they got out of bed, and changed in separate rooms. alice brushed through her hair in an attempt to make herself look presentable.

they slowly walked downstairs and greeted the rest of the boys in the house that were already cooking breakfast.

"al!" zach ran over to alice, engulfing her in a hug. "how did you sleep? more importantly, where did you sleep?"

"i slept-" alice began, before she was cut off by daniel.

"i let her sleep in my bed, while i took the floor."

zach looked between alice and daniel, trying to figure out if it was the truth. jonah and daniel made eye contact; jonah knew the truth.

"okay, well at least it was comfortable, right?" zach asked.

"of course." alice smiled, pinching zach's cheek. daniel's eyes basically turned green with envy. he couldn't tell if they were flirting or not, he could never tell what alice meant with anything.

"okay guys, breakfast is done!" corbyn smiled. "we've got eggs, toast, and bacon. all the goods."

jack was the first to run over and grab food, not caring who he shoved out of his way. alice was growing to enjoy jack's company; he was funny and kind at the same time, which is difficult to find in a person. she hoped they would grow to be close friends.

jack winked at alice playfully when he noticed her laughing at his manners, or lack thereof. when daniel walked past alice to grab food, he lightly pinched her side. alice looked up at him immediately, and noticed he wasn't even looking at her. however, he had a mischievous smile plastered upon his lips. what was this boy playing at?

once everyone had grabbed their food, they sat and ate on the couch. as jonah said, "apparently we don't have manners in this home."

the boys played video games, while alice simply sat behind daniel watching. every time he got a chance, he looked back at her with some silly gesture: a wink, smile, a simple tongue out, etc.

alice was so glad her and daniel were back to friends, and acted normal with each other. it was as if they had never known each other before that drunk text, as if she had never hurt him. she still felt insanely guilty for hurting such a pure soul.

"guys, it's already almost noon. we should probably do something today." jonah tried to reason with the rest of the boys.

"jonah the mom," corbyn complained. "we're having fun! it's an off-day. that's very rare, y'know."

"i'm aware." jonah laughed, "i'm in the band too, y'know."

"you are? huh, didn't know!" zach joked.

alice laughed at the boys' stupid bickering.

"jonah's right, i'm bored." daniel sighed and stood up, dropping his controller in zach's seat.

daniel reached his arm out to alice, offering to do something. she grabbed his hand and lifted herself up. they let go of each other's hold and broke eye contact after a moment.

"ice cream?" jonah asked with a wide smile on his face.

"always!" alice jumped up excitedly, running upstairs to get shoes.

daniel walked up after her, arriving in his bedroom fifteen seconds later. they both put their socks and shoes on in silence.

"i'll be too cold if i go out in this." alice complained, "it's breezy today."

"wear this over it." daniel offered, tossing a jean jacket on her lap.

"thanks, daniel." alice smiled brightly. she put the denim jacket on over her plain tee-shirt, the jacket engulfing her in a large amount of material.

they walked down the stairs together, expecting to find all four of the other boys. instead, only jonah stood there. "the others didn't want to come, supposedly."

"are we walking or driving?" daniel asked.

"we can walk, right? it's about half a mile." jonah looked between daniel and alice for confirmation.

alice nodded, and daniel spoke, "yeah, it might take some work for me, but i'll make it." jonah and alice laughed, considering how fit the boy actually was.

all three got the same flavor ice cream: cookies n' cream, of course.

"let's play a game, i'm bored!" alice complained while eating her ice cream from a dish.

"fine, how about truth or dare?" jonah suggested.

"that's cliché." alice spoke with a mouthful of cookies n' cream.

"whatever, it can be fun."

"fine. jonah, truth or dare?" she asked.

"truth," jonah decided.

"are you single?" she raised an eyebrow.

"nope." jonah laughed. "daniel, truth or dare?"

"um, truth?" daniel questioned.

"do you have a crush right now?" jonah smiled.

"yes," daniel spoke after a minute.

alice didn't know why, but she could feel her heart drop. who did daniel have a crush on? did she know her?

"alice, truth or dare?" daniel asked.

"dare," alice spoke quietly.

"um, i dare you to do a kartwheel right now." daniel laughed.

alice completed her dare easily. "come on, is that all you've got?"