Two

A few days later, Darcy received a letter from Bingley. It read:

Darcy,

I am about to ask you for a monumental favor. Please, consider what I'm saying and do not hold against me any impoliteness my request brings, but I am quite sure that you will understand the reason once I state it.

Mrs. Bennet is driving me mad! She is always at Netherfield, and I can't stand it anymore! Her constant prattling is more than I can take once a week, and it's most every day! She won't leave us alone! And what's more, my lovely Jane is also a tad miffed. And Caroline and Louisa will not stop complaining, otherwise, I might have been able to put up with it. Might, I add. Not for certain is that fact. This letter would probably have just been delayed. If you could, perhaps, have pity on me and my wife and send an invitation for us to join you at Pemberley, I would be in your debt forever.

Answer swiftly!

Your dearest friend and brother-in-law (remember that, Darcy. We're brothers now),

Charles Bingley

Postscript: Jane sends her warm regards to you and Elizabeth.

Post-Postscript: Jane is not aware that I am asking this question. Please do not tell her, or Elizabeth, about my request; just send me an answer. I do not want either one of them becoming offended at my description of their mother.

Once again,

Bingley

Darcy couldn't help laughing as he read the letter and was glad that he was able to peruse it in the solitude of his grand library. Although he seriously doubted if Elizabeth would have taken any offense at Bingley's complaints; she probably would have agreed with him.

And Darcy quite understood where Bingley was coming from. Mrs. Bennet was imposing, foolish, and her tongue never tired of wagging. She annoyed Darcy severely and it was only for Elizabeth's sake that he put up with her, but even his wife seemed to view her mother through a similar lens to the one he described.

Darcy picked up his pen and began to write a reply to Bingley, inviting him to Pemberley and making no mention of Bingley's pleading letter. Then he set the letter aside to be posted and headed to find Georgiana and Elizabeth.

They were sitting on a bench in a shaded corner of the garden, chatting idly. To Darcy's pleasure, he noticed that Georgiana seemed to be opening up to her new sister.

"Mr. Darcy," Elizabeth greeted, standing. "What brings you out here?"

"Can't I just want to find my wife and sister?" he challenged, but Elizabeth just laughed, knowing he was jesting.

"Not with that expression, you're not. You look almost self-satisfied, and I know you too well to think that you're that satisfied just because you've found us. Come, what is it?"

Darcy made a mental note to attempt to regain some of his composure. He didn't want Elizabeth being able to read his state of mind from his look. "Bingley and Jane are coming down to Pemberley soon."

Elizabeth smiled. "Oh, that would be perfect! Any occasion for them leaving Netherfield so soon? I was of the opinion that they would stay there for at least six months."

Darcy chose his words carefully. "I thought that since Bingley and his party's previous visit to Pemberley was cut short by...circumstances, I would invite them back to complete their stay." As Elizabeth looked cheerful at the prospect of seeing her beloved sister again, he added, "Of course, his sisters will probably accompany him."

Elizabeth rolled her eyes but maintained her smile. "Well, we'll find some way to put up with – I mean entertain them, won't we, Mr. Darcy?"

Georgiana glanced from Elizabeth to Darcy. "What do you mean?"

Elizabeth flashed a smile at her husband and then turned to Georgiana. "Come, Georgiana, let us go for a walk, and I will explain the particulars."

Georgiana cast a perplexed look at her elder brother, probably wondering what Elizabeth meant to say about her friend, Caroline Bingley. Darcy nodded and watched the two girls head off down a path, conversing in light, airy voices.