49: Nothing is impossible unless you think it is.

En başından başla

"Wow, if you zoom in you can actually make out the writing on all those signs people are carrying behind us even though they're not that close. Fancy cameras sure live up to their name," mused Fuyuki. "Huh, all nine signs say, "I love 73!" I wonder why."

"I love 73?...Seventy-three...Seven three....Nana-Mi. Oh. It's a pun." As someone who had an unexpected knack for solving puzzles, it didn't take Araki long to figure it out. "There's a Nanami in Shizu-rin's class, am I right?"

"Oh, maybe they're Sakaki-kun's relatives then," replied Satoru after a beat. "His first name is Nanami. I remember him once sharing that he came from a large family as well."

"Heh, as expected." Araki frivolously swung his arm over Yoru's shoulders and pulled him close. "What do you think, Aki-tan? Am I not the greatest? The answer's obvious as day but I want to hear you say it anyways."

"Yes, senpai. Absolutely. I have yet to meet a man more perfect than you," answered Yoru automatically.

Araki chuckled. "Very good, Aki-tan. Your thinking may still be a little dull at times but it seems reaction times have improved. Your surging popularity seems justified to me now. On this topic, what ended up happening after you were dragged away by that one fan girl of yours? Did she show you her face underneath the mask? Was she cute?"

When he recalled the unusual exchange he had with the fox mask wearing girl who claimed to be his fan, Yoru frowned. "I didn't see her remove her mask. All she did was ask me a few questions but she gave me really weird vibes."

"Really? How so?" asked Fuyuki.

"I can't exactly tell you but something was definitely off about her."

Meanwhile, separated from the audience by a set of curtains, the atmosphere between Madoka and Shizuka could also be described as off as they were standing face to face but not speaking.

An eternity seemed to pass before Shizuka finally whispered, "You're not mad at me are you, Madoka?"

Shizuka never thought that there would be a day where she would have to feel guilty about her physical contact with a boy and yet there she was. While she had no qualms about regularly teasing Madoka and seeing his flustered reactions, mentally she did not think that she was prepared for anything beyond that. After all, in regards to male-female relationships she was fairly conservative.

Madoka was astonished by her words. Slowly shaking his head, he answered, "I'm not mad. Are you?"

"No. Not anymore. I guess we can call it even now?" I made you jealous. You stole my first kiss. I found out you were training by yourself and jumped you....

Madoka tilted his head. "I guess so...But Shizuka, can I say one more thing?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm fine with you being rough but I definitely won't allow you to run off after the deed has been done."

What nonsense is this kid saying?!

Shizuka swiftly punched Madoka in the arm, then furiously whispered, "What deed! You should be more clear than anyone that absolutely nothing happened!"

"Except for you forcibly removing my clothes and groping me all overahhh-"

Shizuka pinched his lips shut with her thumb and index finger. With a dark face she threatened, "If you say one more word, don't think that I'll be afraid to squeeze your lips out of shape! I'd like to see you be this cheeky with puffy duck lips!"

After a beat of stunned silence, Madoka wriggled around and tried to protest through closed lips. "Mmmrhnnh. Mnrnhmnrh!"

Shizuka snorted but just as she was about to make another comment, a passing classmate who had been carrying some props stopped and gave her a funny look. "Oi, Shizuka-chan, it's one thing for you to show up late but now you're bullying our female lead too?"