14. Chaos

There were bodies surrounding me. So many that it felt hard to breathe. It looked like all the festival goers had packed in near the largest stage to get a glimpse of tonight's headliner, Blink 182. And I was excited but hella nervous as it got more and more cramped. From every direction, it seemed as though another sweaty body would bash into me as people swarmed to try and get as close to the stage as possible. I tightened my grip on Parker's hand, an ever growing fear of getting lost starting to worry me a little bit more than usual. Okay, a lot more than usual.

Parker stood to my left, not enjoying the feeling either of being packed in like sardines.

"Maybe we should get out of here. It's only going to get more crazy once they start," he shouted although it sounded more like a whisper with the loud crowd of excited fans. I contemplated what he was saying.

"Let's stay for a few songs? We're already here, might as well suck it up to hear a bit of Blink," I yelled back as the crowd started cheering to get the band going.

He seemed to have an internal battle about staying or leaving but finally landed on an, "Okay."

I looked down at my phone and saw the numbers switch over to 8:00, their start time. The lights turned on full blast to introduce the band members.

Parker was right. As soon as the melody of 'What's My Age Again?' came out of the speakers, people pushed forward to try to get closer. I gripped his arm to make sure I wouldn't lose him in the mob.

Once it settled down, I actually enjoyed myself during the second song and even quietly sang along to the chorus. Also, he won't admit it, but I could see Parker mumbling the lyrics as well as bopping slightly along with the music.

Alright. This isn't so bad.

When I was about to smile up at Parker, I felt a hand grip down onto my ass. Turning around, I found a stranger. A 20 something-year-old holding a beer in one hand and trying to feel me up with the other.

His breath that reeked of alcohol, touched my ear as he talked. "You wanna have some fun, princess? I see you moving to the music, why don't you move that sexy body of yours with mine?"

I looked at him disgusted but he didn't take the hint as I tried to push him away. His hands would just find a new place to touch.

"Get off of her. Now." An authoritative voice said from beside me.

The drunk man looked at Parker with a teasing smirk. "What are you gonna do about it, pretty boy?" They stepped closer to each other. "I'm sure as hell that I can please her more than you can. She'll be moaning my name—"

What happened in a flash second was Parker's fist connecting with the guy's face as the people around us backed up and witnessed the fight. Parker was about to grab me and go when the man wobbled up, swaying and came back at him. He tried to hit back but because of his intoxication and Parker's agility, he landed none. When he turned his back to us in defeat, we took it as our opportunity to get out of there.

Parker grabbed my hand and dragged me through the dense crowd to try to find the exit and he didn't stop pulling until we made it safe to the line of taxis. Before he could pull me once more into a car, I rooted my feet to the ground to get both of us to stop.

I yanked my hand out of his. "What the hell was that, Parker! You hurt the guy!"

He looked at me in disbelief. "Are you seriously saying that he didn't deserve it? He was going to hurt you, Paige!"

"I could've gotten him off. You didn't have to act with violence. You scared me." I said bitterly, walking away from him and getting into the nearest car.

"Atlantic Shore Hotel," I told the driver as Parker loudly slammed open and closed the other side of the car.

We turned away from each other, staring out the opposite side windows and watching the street lights quickly go by. Slowly, I could feel the adrenaline begin to fade away and instead, I was left with fatigue that began to crawl over me. My muscles began to ache as a sting builds in my heart causing tears to well up in my eyes. I just want the night to be over with.

Once we made it through the front doors and passed by the fake fancy lounge, I pressed our floor number on the keypad, waiting for the most awkward elevator ride of my whole life.

It seemed like we were playing the quiet game with each other and Parker was silently sulking by himself. He walked past me as I opened our door, straight into the bathroom. I heard the faucet turn on and swear words followed.

Against my better judgement, I decided to let myself into the bathroom.

He was bent over the sink in frustration, trying to wipe the crusted blood off of his knuckles. His hair fell over his forehead, creating a youthfulness.

I reached him gently. "Here. Let me help you."

I was expecting refusal but he accepted my request and gave up the wash cloth to which I covered in warm water and caressed his torn skin.

"Damn, you must've punched him hard."

My statement lifted his mouth up into a gentle smile. "I've had practice."

I frowned at this new found discovery of him fighting guys before. Ignoring the feeling, another thought popped into my head, making me retreat into the bedroom to my bag.

I walked back over to Parker, who was leaning against the dark counter, with a small first aid kit in my hand. He immediately laughed at the plastic box.

"Of course you would've brought a first aid kit. Out of all the things."

I grabbed the gauze, bringing it around his hand.

"You can never be overly prepared. Besides, you can't make fun of me for it when it actually is coming in handy."

He looked down, changing the mood. "I'm sorry."

I had finished with the wrapping, setting down the materials and looked into his eyes.

"I shouldn't have hit the guy. The asshole just had his slimy hands all over you and I had to do something to get him to stop."

I smiled up at him. "Thank you for defending me. You were right. I don't think I could've defended myself with his grip. It just scared me to see you so... so... violent."

He frowned at me, softly caressing my cheek with his thumb with creased brows. "Fuck. I never want you to think of me as violent. I'll show you differently. I promise. It just comes out when I'm trying to protect the ones I-" Parker quickly cut himself off and quietly shook his head.

"You know what? It's getting late and I'm exhausted from that mayhem, let's get to sleep so we can do it all over again."

I laughed, "I hope you mean the festival and not have a repeat of the mayhem."

He smiled back at me. "Yeah, I hope so."