I plunged the blade into the side of its neck just below the head and began to drag it down the side. Left hand gripping the bandaged handle of the tanto, blood and guts from the snake leaked from the massive cut and covered its grey scales. I grimaced as innards splattered onto my clothes and face.

I landed on the ground into another roll, but this time I didn't slam into a tree. A large thump from behind left me a grinning mess.

I just took down a massive snake. I had never seen anything so huge! And I killed it by myself  with an injured shoulder nonetheless.

"Ow!" I dropped my tanto, hand shooting up to grip the injury. It felt even more swollen than before, the bump that had been barely noticeable now the size of an squished dinner roll.

Preparing for what I might see, I pushed back the tied fabric of my jacket.

I reeled at the purple, reddish appearance of my shoulder. If it had just been the bump or the discoloration, I wouldn't have been affected. But with both of them? It looked like something out of a horror show! I literally wanted to puke.

I could see dead things. I could see injured things. Just not on myself.

I put the fabric back into place, before bending down and taking the tanto into my right hand. I was going to refrain from using my left side for as long as possible. If I had to cut something, I would use my right hand unless I had no other choice.

The snake really had died, having collapsed on its side with its tongue hanging out like a panting dog. The clean slice of my tanto was strung down the side, blood oozing out from both sides and slowly coating its body.

I reached out and gave it a small nudge with my foot. When it didn't budge, I couldn't help but smirk.

I was such a badass.

hissss

I turned my head, looking in the direction of the distant noise. It sounded like another snake, but I couldn't exactly tell. If it was, I didn't want to go near it. I had my fill with reptiles to last a lifetime.

But then again.... I had just completely annihilated a snake at an inhuman size. And it wasn't as though I had anything better to do... I could just take care of it now so it wouldn't sneak up on me later, right?

Right.

I tightened the knot of my shabby pressure dressing with the use of my right hand and teeth, before dashing off in the direction of the hissing.

It may be a little stupid to run directly toward the danger, but then again, it wasn't as though I had anything better to do. I had no idea where Ryuu or Katsu were, so the least I could do was get rid of a few problems when the opportunity had arisen. Don't get me all messed up though—I wasn't doing this to protect my teammates or anyone else. This was for me, and me alone.

I wasn't throwing myself in danger so someone else would be safe. That suggestion in itself was the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

I slowed down after a few minutes of tree jumping, before coming to a complete stop and squatting beside the spot where the trunk and branch met.

The hissing was louder than it had been before, and I could tell the snake was somewhere out in front of me. I narrowed my eyes and tried to see if I could find it with just my eyes, but I was having a lot of trouble with how thick the vegetation was.