Chapter 3

Chapter 3: A Cat, A Giant And A Werewolf

It was the summer before Percy turned 11. Things started to get really weird, even for him.

He could clearly see that his aunt and uncle were anxious about something, and for once he didn't think it was about work. No, this time it was something more serious. And it meant bad news, seeing as Vernon would be more violent than usual to let his concerns out.

Meanwhile, his younger brother Harry had turned 9 a few days before, and Percy had managed to steal some money out of his uncle to buy a present. He always did that kind of stuff to make sure that at least one of them could have a somewhat happy childhood. After all, he promised to look out after his brother.

The weird things started when he spotted a cat out of his house, looking directly at him. At first he thought he was just being paranoid; but, after some hours, during which the cat didn't move from its spot, he started getting creeped by it. Even when uncle Vernon got into his room at night to beat him up with his belt because he discovered the missing money, the cat kept watching.

Some time passed and the cat still didn't move from its spot. By then, Percy had gotten used to the constant stare, even if it sometimes caught him off guard. That's why, after he got his beating, he would return its intense gaze, trying to figure out what was that cat thinking.

That lasted until one night, when Percy looked out of the window and didn't spot it. He decided to think nothing of it and go to sleep, when suddenly someone rang the doorbell.

"Who the bloody hell could be at this hour!?" Shouted uncle Vernon "Boy! Get the door right now!! "Percy didn't really know if he was referring to him or his brother, but he decided against asking his angry uncle.

With a sigh, he carefully got up from his bed and went downstairs, trying not to re-open any wound, and saw Harry getting out from his "room", the cupboard under the stairs.

"What's happening? Why is uncle Vernon shouting?" Asked his sleepy brother, putting on his glasses.

"Someone rang the doorbell. Don't worry about it, I'll deal with it" Percy said, trying to make Harry go back to his room and not notice his forming bruises.

Uncle Vernon was already angry, and even if they both agreed to keep the abuse in Percy's room, at this hour he wasn't so sure Vernon wouldn't break his word and start hitting him in front of Harry; or worse, hit Harry. It all depended on who was the person who rang the doorbell.

Fortunately Harry followed his instruction, too sleepy to notice anything, and without another word he returned to the cupboard. Percy, relieved, opened the door to a sight he would never forget.

In front of him was the cat that watched him for over a week. Behind it, however, were two...people, a giant with long hair and beard, and finally, someone Percy barely remembered and thought he wouldn't see again: Moony, his godfather.

At that weird sight, he did what any normal being would do.

He closed the door in their faces.

Now, when your godfather who happens to also be a werewolf, something Percy remembers his parents talking about, appears at your door at not-the-most-convinient hour, with a stalker cat and a hairy giant by his side, you tend to believe the lack of sleep (and possibly the blood loss) is affecting you.

However, when Percy turned around to return to his bedroom, he heard the doorbell again.

"Didn't you hear me?! You brat open the damn door right now!" Shouted uncle Vernon, again.

In fear of his uncle going downstairs to punish him, Percy hurried to open the door for the second time.

This occasion, the cat wasn't there. Instead, where it used to be, there was a lady with a pointy hat and a green robe, smiling warmly (or as warmly as a stern-looking lady could) at him.

"Hello, my name is Minerva McGonagall" said the lady, who was clearly a witch "We are looking for Perseus and Harry Potter"

Percy was tempted to close the door again. How did that lady know their names?

"Why?" He asked, suspicious. This whole thing was just weird, even for him.

He looked at his godfather. Moony seemed like he hadn't bathed for a week, with his hair disheveled and a dirty shirt, with what he guessed was mud. Why did his godfather look that bad? From what he could remember, Moony was the most impeccable of his father's group, even the days after turning into a werewolf.

That lady, Mc-something, snapped him out of his thoughts.

"We are here to get you two out of this house, Perseus" she said "Now, would you please let us in?"

Percy, too shocked by the news to answer, opened the door to let the weird group in and called Vernon. He didn't even register when his uncle went furiously downstairs, because the thought of finally getting out of that hellhole filled him with more hope than he wished.

But, what if it was a joke? What if they were going to take Harry away from him?

No. They couldn't. He wouldn't let them.

Upon hearing a loud thud, Percy stopped daydreaming, and saw that the noise was caused by none other than his uncle, who apparently fell downstairs when he saw the people Percy let in. Because of this, the rest of the habitants of the house woke up to see what was all that commotion.

It was going to be a long night.