Chapter 29

Chelsea:"So the mission was found out and I almost had to fight two Jeagers."

We were listening Chelsea's report of her mission.

It was the day after Tatsumi and I returned at the base. When we said what happened everybody was tense.

Or rather, Tatsumi explained. I stayed quiet for almost all the time.

It was a shock to know that Esdeath and I were so similar, and yet so opposite.

If only I could have talked with Fu, maybe I would have found some answers, but I already had them.

I just needed to talk with someone who knew about me, and I didn't want to pull Tatsumi and the others in my world.

Tatsumi:"Y/N, are you listening?"

Me:"Uh?"

I looked up and noticed Tatsumi'stare, as long as Leone, Lubbock and Akame's. While Mine was chasing madly Chelsea for some reason.

Me:"Sorry, my bad. What did you say?"

Lubbock:"Just that the Jeagers are onto us."

Leone:"Since the new danger beasts are killed, Night Raid is their only target."

Me:"...Oh, right."

The Jeagers. We already killed a member, doctor Stylish, and Tatsumi told us all he knew.

Beside Esdeath there were Seryu with her dog, the boy Wave and his armor, Akame's little sister Kurome, a big masked guy named Bols and a blond guy called Run.

Leone:"Maybe they'll leave us alone if we give them Tatsumi, who went in vacation with Y/N on a South island."

As an answer, Tatsumi spitted all his coffee.

Tatsumi:"I already told you we were forced!"

Me:"By that hooded guy...I wonder who he was..."

Lubbock:"On a South Island, with a beautiful woman...it's not that I'm jealous or something, but why didn't you leave her there?"

He was calm, but the way he was taking his coffee seemed to mechanical, like a robot.

Lubbock:"I mean, after all she's the enemy, isn't she? And it's not that I'm jealous or something. Nope, totally not..."

Tears were falling from his eyes.

Leone:"Dry your tears, Lubba..."

She suddendly grabbed Tatsumi's face putting it on her brest.

Leone:"I'll remove the memories of that sadist!"

I just looked away. I really didn't know what to think.

Me:'Why is it bothering me so much!? We had a similar past, so what!? She's a crazy b***h!'

Ghost Rider:'Pheraps it's almost like with Vengeance. You both have something in common, but she uses it for her selfish desires. But from a great power comes great responsibility.'

Me:'...Where did you get it, from chocolates? But I understand what you mean. Speaking of Vengeance, when do you think we'll meet him again?'

Ghost Rider:'What the f**k do you think I am? A crystal ball? How do I know?'

Leone:"Y/N? Yoo-hoo! It's dinner time!"

I looked up again and in front of me there was...something similar to a mushroom, if mushrooms had a mouth.

Susanoo just put it on the table and there was Najenda too, but Tatsumi was on the ground with the face full of drafts.

Me:"...What...happened to him?"

Lubbock:"Uhhh, she called lady Najenda old, how could you not ear that?"

Akame:"Seriously, it's from yesterday you're so absent."

Beside Tatsumi, everybody's were on me.

Me:"...I'm sorry. Thank you for your concern, but I'm fine. I just...need some time alone."

I stood up and reached the door.

Najenda:"Wait, where are you going?"

Me:"I'll train for a while. Akame, my portion is yours."

Akame:"Thank you very much."

I reached the training field and grabbed a spear.

I became pretty good with the sword, so I thought to change weapon.

After some hits I felt someone getting close. Deja-vu.

Me:"Sorry Chelsea, I don't have time for..."

But when I turned back, I didn't see Chelsea. And my 'eyes' confermed it wasn't her.

Me:"Najenda?"

Najenda:"Sorry to disappoint you."

Me:"Nah, it's just she pretended to be Tatsumi last time. So, what do you want?"

Najenda:"Y/N, I'm not a fool. You're acting weird since you returned with Tatsumi, and I want to understand why."

I stabbed the spear on the ground.

Me:"Why, uh? Tell me something first. You know Esdeath from a while, right?"

She was taken back by my question.

Najenda:"Well, yes. We were comrades."

Me:"Did she ever tell you her past?"

Najenda:"Sometimes, but only small stuff. But why are you asking it?"

Me:"Now listen. Would you be able to fight with no problen someone who endured painful esperiences like yours, but use that experience to hurt instead to help?"

Najenda:"What the hell are you talking about?"

I sat on a bench looking the ground.

Me:"On that island, Esdeath told us her past. It was similar to mine, beside some details, even the way we obtained our powers. Two tales made on death, pain and blood."

Her stare of confusion turned in a soft one.

Me:"What bothers me is there IS good in her heart. I saw it myself. But her mind...the demon inside her...doesn't let her go...she's really cold as ice with those who aren't her friends..."

Najenda:"Yes, I saw it myself."

She sat next to me.

Najenda:"And you're conflicted because despite you are so similare, she's evil to the core? Or maybe because you want to redeem her, but you know you can't?"

I kept staring to the ground.

Me:"...I wish we could understand each other with our experiences...but she would never listen to me...I saw it myself..."

She put her arm on my shoulder.

Najenda:"I'm sorry you're in a bad time. I'd like to help you, but until you won't come out of your shell, I would never understand what you feel."

She grabbed my chin and forced me to look at her.

Najenda:"We're more than comrades. We are a family. We trust each other. Whatever burden you have on your shoulder, help us to help you."

Ghost Rider:'Listen to her, kid. You might need help.'

I kindly moved away her hand from my chin and stood up.

Me:"I...have no word to thank you. You may be a general, but you're caring like a mother would be."

I turned back and walked to the door.

Me:"You're right, Night Raid are a family...but even if I work with you, I'm no part of it. Trust me, it's the better way. Besides, I already know how to face my problem."

Najenda:"And can I know how then?"

I stood still on the door and turned my head to her, my eyes filled with fire.

Me:"I'll deal with Esdeath. And I'll kill her alone."