EPILOGUE: Two Months Later

Start from the beginning

John blinked. It was the last thing he would have expected. "I'm glad you're doing better."

"Yeah. He made me go to a few counseling appointments, and I thought they helped, but I can't really afford any more right now. It's really expensive out there! They actually have ADHD life coaches you can hire to help you get organized, and stuff. I can't really afford that, either, but if I keep getting work, maybe later."

"You have ADD. All that stuff around here—?" John waved his hands around to indicate the mess that used to be all over the floor.

"Yeah. I couldn't keep my mind on anything long enough to get it done." She looked at the floor. "Johnny, I'm so sorry for what I put you through."

"Oh, Lizzie. If you're feeling better, it's okay."

"How's your mom doing?"

"Trial's next week." John pulled the mail out of his jacket pocket and dropped it on the couch like snowflakes, one at a time. "Hate mail from her every week. Ask me again when it's over." He quirked his mouth up on one side.

Lizzie walked over to the coffee table. "Mind if I take my favorite candle back?" It sat in a multicolored glass holder and gave off a strong cinnamon scent when lit.

John wasn't much for candles. "Take it," he said.

"How's work?"

"Good. Mike's back on full duty again."

"I know. Lisa and I keep in touch."

She put her box down, bent and took the candle, and straightened up. "You know, Johnny," she said, "There's weeks left on the film. You could fly out. Spend some time on the set with me. I could introduce you around, like we talked about. You'd have a blast."

John's heart tugged at him, but he shook his head. "I think it's too soon, Lizzie, with all this stuff with Ma. And you told some real whoppers, there. I don't think that was ADHD."

Lizzie glanced down at her sandaled feet. "No," she said. She picked up the box again and held it in front of her as if it were protecting her. "That was just full-on, total embarrassment."

John folded his arms and leaned against the wall, glancing down at the empty coffee table. "You know your career is going to take off now, anyway. You're gonna get another movie, and then you'll have to stay out there."

Lizzie shot him a lopsided grin. "Maybe not," she said. "I've gone to two more auditions since I've been out there and they both hated me. But I am going to be back in Vogue again, when the movie comes out. They want me to model the designer who did our costumes. It's a lot easier to get in Vogue these days if you've done a major film."

"All the same," said John, "I think it'd take me a long time to trust you again."

"I know," said Lizzie. Her eyelashes fluttered and she looked at the floor.

"Well," she said finally. "I've got a couple more things. Can you help me carry some stuff? I've got a rental car parked across the street."

John helped her carry three small boxes and a little handheld case across the street to her car. They stuffed them in back, and Lizzie opened the driver's side door.

She turned around. "I wouldn't have  to live in L.A., Johnny. Look at Sissy Spacek. She lives in Charlottesville." Her eyes met his, full of naked pleading. "Won't you at least think about it?"

"Aww, come on, Lizzie. You're gonna meet some young, hunky actor ..."

She stamped her foot. "Well, I will if you want me to! But I don't really ... want to."

John couldn't help but put his arms around her. "Lizzie, honey ... you're twenty-two. I'm going to be thirty next month. You're going to go back out there, and things are going to happen. You're going to change. And I don't want to pretend that isn't going to happen, because it will. You don't want to be married to some cop in podunk Richmond. Not right now, you don't."

He let go of her and saw tears in her eyes.

"I'm going to keep in touch with you, Johnny. I'm going to fly back and visit." She slid her thumb under his blazer and into his waistband in back. "I'm going to fly back and stay here."

"And then you'll fly out, and the phone calls will taper off, and then the emails will die out, and one day you won't come back," said John. "Lizzie, it's easier this way. I'm a cop. I'm a detective. Here. I don't want to move to LA."

"Well, why don't you give me a chance and find out for sure?" she snapped. "I'll bet you in six months I'll still  be asking to come back here and be your girlfriend again."

"And I'll bet you in six months you won't."

"Well, nyahh!" said Lizzie, and stuck out her tongue. Then she laughed, but her eyes were a little red.

"Take care, Johnny," she whispered. "I love you."

He took her in his arms for a long hug. "Take good care of yourself, Lizzie. I love you, too."

They held each other there on the street. Traffic drove by and honked.

Finally John said, "I've got to get going. I'm due back at work."

Lizzie sniffled and let go of him, tucking a stray curl behind her ear. "I've got to go, too. I'm stopping in Chicago to see my mom."

She opened the car door and slid behind the wheel. She closed the door, started the car, and put the window down. He leaned in to kiss her.

"I'll be seeing you," she said, and shook her finger at him. Then she put the car in gear and pulled out.

John watched her taillights disappear up the street.

                                                                                            -30-

At the end, I just have to make the most important acknowledgement of all: Thanks to you, the reader. Thank you for sticking with me through the end. Please let me know what you liked and didn't like about this story, and if you did like it, votes always help! :)

Next I will be posting a Star Wars Palpatine redemption fan fic. This one used to be around on TFN and fanfiction.net about twelve years ago. I STILL get requests for it after all this time. Keep your eyes peeled for it. It's called Midnight in the Garden.

Update: Midnight went up but it's sort of on hiatus while I work on my latest one. It's called Duality. A kingdom and its Queen in the grip of an evil guild, a girl Robin Hood who falls for the King ... it's a dystopian romance with a dash of astrology, destiny, and heartbreak.