Chapter Thirty Nine

Word Count: 1555

~Jada

By the time Kael and Grayson arrived, I was beyond fuming.

It was stupid of me to bring Axel along. Here I was, convinced I would be able to get on Axel's side, so we could have a friendship despite how he feels about me. He helped me get here, to meet my mate. I can understand why he is so spiteful, however, his bitterness has gone too far.

I sat down on a warm rock, trying to enjoy the sun as far from Axel as I could when Grayson and Kael emerged from the bush, Grayson looking beyond pleased within himself. "We found some footsteps up ahead."

"It's not definitive but it's the only clue we have," Kael says, trying to remain realistic. It's obvious he doesn't want to be let down again.

I give him a soft smile, which he returns warmly.

We set off on our walk not long after. Grayson is keen on the track of Kael's mother, however, it seems everyone else is disheartened. I walk in front of Kael, looking over my shoulder every few minutes to whisper something reassuring, or to give him a smile. It seemed to be working, but if Grayson doesn't find a bigger clue soon, he might consider turning back.

It seemed as though what I was thinking transpired into reality, as an arrow came whizzing past me, before hitting the tree behind.

With a gasp, I fall to the ground, holding my ear. I wasn't hit, but damn near close to it. Everyone else had startled, although Grayson was more interested in who shot the arrow, running ahead, disappearing into the bushes.

Was that Kael's mother?

"Are you okay?" Kael asks, grabbing me by my shoulders, pulling me into his chest. His warmth almost seems to wash away all the worry, my heartbeat evening out again. As I look up at him, seeing the concern in his eyes, it makes me realise he cares more about me and my health than finding his mother.

Over Kael's shoulder, I see Ace pull the arrow from the tree, pulling a piece of paper off the splintered wood. He hands the letter to Kael. "Well, looks like she was trying to send a message without getting too close. Again."

Kael quickly rips the letter open, looking down at it. His expression doesn't change until he puts down the letter, looking confused and somewhat offended.

I grab it to have a look myself.

To my darling Kael,

I've always known you were a strong boy. You have proved that before, and I am proud of you. You are a great Alpha, better than ever. And now, you have a mate. The perfect Luna of the Pack, who will do better than I ever did. You will be complete soon, a void in your heart will be filled by her love, I can assure you.

Yet you still pursue me. You are a stubborn boy, I know, however, it is time to put this to an end. For everyone. For me, too. As much as I love you, I cannot come home, and I cannot see you no more.

Please turn around and go home right now. Forget about me forever, and never come home. That, I would appreciate.

Much love, mother.

Putting down the letter, I feel as empty and confused as Kael must feel. He looks at me, eyebrows furrowed, processing what he read on the letter. In that moment, Grayson burst through the brush.

"I don't know who shot that, but they got away quick, and left no tracks," Grayson tells us, running his hand through his dark hair, which has a sheen of sweat running along the strands. I doubt it was Kael's mother who shot that letter, but someone she is working with. She can't possibly be alone.