Chapter 7: Dark Angel

He looked back at me, slightly taken aback but still kept his composure. Too soon, his eyes became the pitch black that I felt would haunt me. His breathing was still ragged.

"What the fuçk, Avery get your fuçking little ass out of here, now!!"

He screamed at me again, I quickly went from scared to annoyed. I so badly wanted to scream back saying, 'You didn't think it was so little last night.' But it wasn't the right time to bring that up.

I tried to push him out of my way but he didn't move even an inch. I moved back and maneuvered my way around him. Summer looked scared, shocked, and grateful. I walked towards her while Nathaniel kept screaming at me to leave.

"What happened?"

I asked her. It took her a while to bring her attention back to me. She didn't look like the Summer I saw this morning. That Summer was a tough girl and now she seemed vulnerable. I had no idea why, and I knew it wasn't the time to bring that up as well.

"H-he c-c-called me," she paused and gulped before she continued. "I don't know, I got here and he was throwing everything around." she finally finished. This time she hadn't stuttered and she no longer seemed scared, just worried for her friend.

I knew I couldn't just leave her here with him. I couldn't just leave him again, he may seem angry but I know he's hurt and hiding his vulnerability with rage.

"Can I get a moment alone with him, please." I asked her.

She nodded, and made her way towards the door I came in through.

"Where the fuçk is Summer going? Why are you still here?" Nathaniel continued screaming at me, I tried my best to look calm and unfazed by him and his harsh words.

"I asked her to leave." I responded and was surprised at how calm I sounded.

This time I walked towards him, I walked each step with caution and took a pause with each small step.

"Stay where you're at, or I swear I'll-"

"You'll what?" I questioned him.

"I'll hurt you." he seemed to hesitate a bit, but quickly covered it with a smirk. I wanted to slap him for it.

"You've already hurt me, emotionally, and emotional pain is much worse than any physical pain you can inflict on me." I responded as I took another step towards the vulnerable boy finally beginning to take his mask of rage off.

"Don't do this." he warned me, as he backed up into a wall.

I made the last few steps until I was nearly chest to chest with him. I carefully brought both my hands up and cautiously brought them to his face. He was watching me, waiting to see what I would do. I slid my hands from his face down to his shoulders. Wrapping both arms around his neck I brought him down to me, and hugged him.

He was tense, he made no movements whatsoever. However, I could feel his erratic heartbeat beginning to slow down. Unconsciously, I brought one of my hands to his hair and began running it through his soft hair. He let out a small sigh.

I went up on my tiptoes until I reached his ear. "I'm so sorry." I breathed out.

He slowly began to relax, after a minute or so, I realized he wouldn't return the hug. I let go of him and backed up to put some space between us.

He looked at the wall behind me, but wouldn't look at me.

I cupped his face, and once again closed the space between us.