Chapter Three

"And to move Ruta's trunk, you just tap the arrows." I stood at the top of a tall mountain that looked down over Zora Domain and all of Hyrule. It was a warm, humid day and the sun shone down onto the Champions, Zelda, King Rhoam, and the Divine Beast Vah Ruta.

I held the Sheikah Slate in my hands, and King Rhoam was showing me the controls. I pressed a small yellow arrow on the screen, and watched in amazement as Ruta's huge trunk moves up into the air, spurting a cool shower of water onto the group.

"I think you've got the controls down." King Rhoam said. "Now, let's all go in and take a look at the interior."

Link walked up beside me and took my hand as all the Champions followed King Rhoam and Princess Zelda to the entrance of Ruta. Urbosa stood next to me, Daruk next to Urbosa, and Revali trailed behind us.

I took a glance back at the Rito. He looked horrible. He lacked the indifferent, prideful demeanor that he had had before the... incident in Kakariko Village. His eyes were pointed to the ground, and his wings drooped along side him. He looked exhausted. A pang of sympathy hit my heart.

We reached the platform that led to the entrance of Ruta. The group stepped onto it, and I approached the glowing pedestal on top of it.

"Place your Sheikah Slate on the pedestal." King Rhoam directed. I reached out and the Sheikah symbol on the terminal lit up. I looked up at the door as it rumbled and opened, providing an entrance into the Divine Beast.

The group stepped in, looking around in awe. Around me was a labyrinth, a complex puzzle made of ancient stone and turning gears. The moving parts clicked and water splashed in from Ruta's trunk from a small opening in the ceiling.

"Lady Mipha," King Rhoam said. "Move the trunk down so the water moves away."

I did as I was told and the water moved away from the opening, followed by a loud trumpet from Ruta.

The group continued walking into the large room, looking around in awe.

"King Rhoam," Daruk asked. "Are all the insides of the Divine Beasts the same?"

King Rhoam shook his head. "Each Beast has a different puzzle inside it, but you need not worry about it. The Sheikah have already solved the puzzles and made the Beasts operable."

"Good," Daruk chuckled. "I don't think I'd be able to solve these..."

"Indeed you wouldn't..." I heard Revali mutter behind me.

"Anywho," King Rhoam stated. "I just wanted to give you champions the basic idea of what you're going to be working with. Mipha, you can spend as much time as you need in here. As for now, we can go outside and give each of you your Divine Helm."

The Divine Helms were sacred headpieces that are given to anyone piloting a Divine Beast. There was one for each of the Beasts.

King Rhoam started toward the entrance and we all followed him out and into the field outside.

Link walked off with Daruk, listening to him as he told a story about some Bokoblins. Urbosa walked up to King Rhoam and asked him something. Revali stood sulking away from the group, and I looked in wonder over the beautiful view of Hyrule.

I noticed Zelda look around, to make sure nobody was watching, and then creep silently into the woods. Confusion sparked inside me, and I followed her into the forest.

I stepped lightly on the forest floor, not wanting to be seen. After walking a good distance into the woods, she did the strangest thing.

She reached down, picked up a handful of mud, and smeared it all on her dress. Then, she snapped a branch off of a tree and used it to make scratches on her hands. She ruffled her hair, and made herself look like she had just fallen off a mountain.

Then, she screamed.

The most shrill, ear piercing screech I have ever heard in my life.

"Help me!" She cried. "Oh, won't somebody please help me!"

Confusion filled my mind. What in the name of Hylia is she doing?

"Zelda, are you okay?" I stepped out from my hiding place and the princess glared at me.

"Link, please, help!" She called.

Link came racing through the trees and Zelda fell to the ground. "Link! Moblins! They attacked me!"

Link raced up to her side and took her hand, helping her up. Jealousy filled my veins as the princess fell into his arms, sobbing fakely.

"I was so scared!" She cried. "I thought they were going to kill me!"

Hatred pierced my mind as I realized what she had been planning.

"Link, she-"

"Zelda! Are you alright?" King Rhoam came running into the forest, followed by the other Champions.

"I'm okay," Zelda turned to her father. "I was attacked by Moblins."

"Boy, if any of those Moblins show up again, I'll show them..." Daruk put his hand on his stone smasher.

Link walked away from Zelda and up to my side.

"Link, listen, she-"

"We should get back to Zora Domain." King Rhoam said, taking Zelda by the hand. "We can spend the night there, Zelda."

Zelda nodded, wiping fake tears from her eyes. Frustration filled my mind as we followed the King and Princess out of the woods and into the field, where we boarded our horses and rode them back to the domain.