Chapter Seventeen

Version:1.0StartHTML:0000000168EndHTML:0000015689StartFragment:0000000438EndFragment:0000015672

Eliza approached the gate to thepalace and lowered her head. She tried to keep her heart from racingand tried to be strong. Felicity had given her the encouragement sheneeded. She felt in her heart that she was ready to do this. She knewher family would be proud of her. This was the time and the momentand she could not back out now.

She looked up at the guards whostared at her curious as to why she was standing there. They didn'tlook mean, but looked like two young men who had families at home togo to every night. She smiled at them letting them know she meant noharm.

"My name is Eliza Wilson. Thequeen is waiting for me."

The guards exchanged glancesthen opened the gate letting her inside. She grabbed her horses reinsand led him inside. She walked slowly not wanting to be too eager togo. Images of Tristan flooded her mind. She was in love with him andthere was no going back. She had to make it today to see Tristanagain. To have him kiss her one more time and hold her in his arms.She had to defeat the queen for his mother whom he spoke of with lovegreater then she imagined. She wanted to defeat the queen for Shakiraand her people so that they could live peaceful lives. And most ofall for Dahlia because she had lost the greatest king in Vandervillebecause of her evil mother. The pain that Dahlia must have gonethrough having to face her fathers murderer must have been unbearablefor her.

Eliza entered the entrance ofthe castle. She tied her horse to the post and gently pushed thedoors open. She was prepared for knights or spells that would be castupon her, but nothing leaped out at her. She looked around seeing theonce beautiful castle torn to shreds and looking like it was thehouse of vampires. She walked down the red carpet waiting to see thequeen step around the corner. Eliza had spells in her head she wasready to use.

A cold breeze hit Eliza makingher shiver. She could feel the anger and hatred that filled the roomof the castle. She could hear the silence of a castle that had onceheld joyful music and cheerful guests. Now, the castle stood silentwith no silver platters or cheerful guests. She felt the table wherethe treats once sat and felt dust beneath her fingers. She dusted herhands off and walked to the dining room where a meal sat. Most of thefood was devoured and the chalices were empty. She noticed that twopeople had eaten there and were now gone. She slowly made her waypast the table and into the throne room where the queen would be forsure. Sure enough, the queen sat on her throne waiting patiently witha tall man with a sword standing beside her. The queen smiled whenshe saw Eliza and stood up raising her hands to the few guests thatwere there. They all sat down and watched the scene before them.

Eliza had expected the queen tolook evil and gross, but she was beautiful and looked so much likeDahlia. Her hands were small and thin and Eliza noticed that a stonehung from the queens neck. One side of the stone was black and theother was gray. It is unemotional and can be indecisive. Eliza hadlearned that on her way to this journey and she knew that the witcheswith a gray stone were not witches to trust. Especially since thequeen was not really a witch but stole powers from real witches whocaused her no harm.

"Welcome Eliza. You are moreprettier then I imagined. Shame you came here to destroy me. We couldhave been friends."

Eliza glared not wanting to beweakened by the queen.

"I am not surprised that youare here of course. I saw you coming, but I did not see you come tomy kingdom. Now why is that my dear?" She walked down to Eliza. "Mytraitor of a daughter had gone to you and told you my plans. I shouldof killed her along with her father, but I had a weak moment andwatched her grow up to become just like her father. Oh, that man. Hewas too kind and gave the people of this kingdom what they wanted.People will not accept that you are you in charge if you give themeverything they want."