Chapter Nine

Version:1.0StartHTML:0000000168EndHTML:0000020107StartFragment:0000000438EndFragment:0000020090

The river sounded close andpeaceful. Eliza could almost see the beautiful waterfall and thewater flowing so calmly. She had never left home and had alwaysdreamed of seeing the river and what it looked like. She could justpicture it in her mind what the waterfall was like. Agnes would haveloved to see the waterfall as well. Eliza closed her eyes and thoughtof the waterfall in her mind. She could see herself touching thewater and feeling the cold water on her hand. When she opened hereyes, Shakira was looking at her with interest.

"What is the falls called?"Eliza asked wanting to take the attention off of her. Shakira lookedaway and sat quietly for a minute.

"Augusta Springs. We have tocross the river and it will be a challenge with the horses, but thereis no other way." Shakira said walking off. Eliza followed as shelistened to the river.

"You know this river?"

Shakira did not say anythingfor a few minutes but kept riding until they reached the group oftrees by the river. She climbed off her horse and walked her horse tothe river. Eliza climbed off her horse and stepped beside Shakirathinking that she upset her. Shakira bent down and slipped her handin the water.

"My father was here the dayhe was killed. He was gathering food for my people when the soldierskilled him. Sometimes mother comes here and listens to the wind. Shebelieves that fathers spirit lives her."

Eliza bent down and felt thewater. It was warm and felt good on her hand. It was also very clearwhere she could see the bottom. She saw many small pebbles at thebottom making the river come alive. When she reached for one andpulled it out of the water, the pebble was bigger and was veryinteresting to her. It felt slimy but Eliza wanted to show Agnes andlet her have a piece of the river. Shakira watched as Eliza slippedthe pebble in her bag.

"Your mother was a witch?"

Eliza looked at Shakira notknowing what to say. No one had mentioned her parents ever and nowthat her mother was being mentioned, Eliza was at a loss for words.She did not know what to say about her mom. Her mother nevermentioned being one though she knew Eliza was one. Her mother haddied before she could find out more about her.

"I do not know. Mother waskilled before I could ask her. She knew about me."

Shakira gently took Eliza'shand and squeezed it. "We will reunite with them again someday."

Then Shakira slowly steppedinto the warm water leading her horse. Eliza followed her lead notknowing how to cross the river. They stepped over several logs thatwas covered in moss and even over some rocks. Eliza slipped a fewtimes, but regained her balance and kept going. Shakira was movingfaster the further she got and seemed to know each step to take.Eliza could not help but look around for the waterfall. It looked tobe a mile away, but was just as beautiful. She stopped and admiredits beauty not wanting to ever forget seeing it. It felt like someonewas pouring water from a bucket. It fell from a very high mountainand caused the water to flow. Eliza never saw anything like it.

She was so interested in thewaterfall that she did not hear the soldiers approach. Shakira wasyelling at her to move, but Eliza did not hear her. Then she heardfeet running and her gaze from the waterfall was broken and she sawthe soldiers coming. Eliza tried to run, but had lost her footing andslipped into the river. The river may have looked calm, but when shelanded in the water, it was pulling her away. She tried to fight, butthe force was too strong. Shakira quickly ran back and tried to helpher. Eliza tried to grab anything she could, but had no such luck.

The soldiers were right onShakira, but she paid no mind. "Eliza! Take my hand!" Elizareached for Shakira's hand, but was getting too far away. Then asoldier grabbed Shakira and started taking her away, but she foughtwith everything she had. Eliza closed her eyes and thought of thebanishing spell that Agnes had taught her. She mumbled the words toherself and when she opened her eyes, Shakira had gotten away and wasrunning from the soldier. Finally, Eliza grabbed a tree limb and heldon. The soldiers did not give up. Some were coming after her.