Chapter Three

Version:1.0StartHTML:0000000168EndHTML:0000015244StartFragment:0000000438EndFragment:0000015227

Fatherhad sat by the fire all day and refused to talk to anyone. Mothertried several times but sensing that he was not in the talking mood,she decided to start making a nice dress for Lilly. Eliza had alwaysbeen given the new beautiful dresses mother made and this time it wasLilly's turn. While everyone kept busy, Eliza joined Lilly in theroom playing with the dolls. Lilly had two dolls that she loved morethan anything. One had a pink dress that mother made with a heart onthe chest and the other wore a yellow dress with a star in thecenter. Lilly cherished them and made sure they never got dirty.

Elizaheld the one with the yellow dress and studied it.

"Mothersays your acting strange. Where did you go this morning? Mother sawyou leave and said you look troubled."

Elizalooked up at Lilly like she was caught. No one knew. She was quietlike the boy told her to. She did not say anything. How did theyknow?

"Lastnight still haunts me. Don't worry. I am alright."

Lillysmiled and continued playing with her dolls. The fox speaking hauntedEliza's mind again. She could not think of it. She had to takecaution. She feared her parents would be angry with her. They mightturn her in. If they knew about the things that were happening toher, that would put their lives in danger. She cared too much forthem to be hurt. She shook the thought from her mind again and heldthe doll.

Sleepingthat night was impossible for Eliza. She lay in bed thinking of thefox again. First the healing now the talking fox. Strange things werehappening and now Eliza was wanting answers. She quietly climbed outof bed and walked to her window looking out. The fox who spoke to herstood by the tree at the edge of the forest staring back at her.Eliza took a deep breath and slipped out of her window. She slowlyapproached the fox and stared not knowing what to say. Thankfully thefox spoke for her.

"YourEliza."

"H-h-h-howdo you know my name?" Eliza managed to say.

"Thewitches of the forest have predicted you. They say your a greatwitch. Young. You can save us all."

Thefox knew her and knew of witches who lived in the forest. She was notdreaming. This was real.

"I'mno witch. I am a normal fourteen year old girl. You must have memistaken with another Eliza."

Thefox shook its head and moved closer. Eliza backed away as if the foxwas going to attack her. She did not believe the fox. It told her shewas a witch, but she wasn't. Whoever these witches were predictedsomeone else. This could not be her.

"Yourfinger healed quickly. A normal person could not have done that. Youhave magic inside you. You can talk to me so surely your a witch. Ahealer." The fox sat down and sniffed around as if it smeltsomething then it looked at her. Eliza stood stunned trying to takethis all in. She was told by the boy she was a healer and she ignoredhim. Now a fox has come to her and is telling her she is a healer aswell. Her mind spun on these things and it made her head hurt. Shedid not know whether to believe them or ignore them and pretend likeit was all a nightmare. She wanted to do just that, but her heart wastelling her to believe it.

Shestepped closer to the fox and bent down so that she was eye levelwith it. It just stared at her waiting for her to say something.

"IfI am a witch, the soldiers will come for me and take me away. Icannot be a witch. It cannot be true."

"Youare a young witch and are not sure of your powers yet, but they canteach you. The kingdom is falling because of the evil queen and weneed a powerful witch to put a stop to her evil plans. Only you cansave us. We need you. I came looking for you in hopes that you willaccept who you are. Most are captured before we can speak with them,but some are hidden away so that the soldiers will not find them. Ifyou come with me, I can take you to the witches who can help you."