Chapter Four

Version:1.0StartHTML:0000000168EndHTML:0000011463StartFragment:0000000438EndFragment:0000011446

The rain poured that nightmaking the ground outside muddy and formed huge water puddles. Fatherhad remained quiet and smoked on his pipe as he rocked in the rockingchair. Eliza lay in bed thinking of what mother said and what Galleysaid. Mother was a witch so Eliza was born one. She never mentionedif father was one, but she didn't want to press her mother foranswers. She listened to the sound of the rain falling on the roofand imagined what powers her mother had. What powers Lilly had. Therewas so much to learn about being a witch and now that mother knew sheknew, she might be willing to teach Eliza how to control her powers.They could save lives together. Galley might be pleased. She did saythey needed witches and most were captured. If Eliza could get hermother to agree to help save the people of Vanderville, then theywould end this tragedy together. Then witches could live freely amongthe rest of them with no worries of losing their homes or theirlives. The thought made Eliza smile. A safe and free home. Lillycould live her happy life and Eliza and her mother could practicepowers together. Oh how she wanted to live in that world.

She looked over at Lilly wholay in bed sleeping soundly. She held both her dolls tightly like shemight lose them. Her blond hair lay a mess all around her and her herhead tilted a little to the right. Eliza smiled and tried to go tosleep. Tomorrow, mother and father were planning on taking them tochurch again and spending the day with friends. Eliza would be ableto take her mind off all the things that have happened and focus onnormal life. No worries in the world would bother her. She wouldforget Galley, the talking fox, and mother being a witch. She wouldspend a beautiful morning with her friends enjoying the sunshinewithout a care in the world. She needed to escape it all.

What seemed like hours later,Eliza was awoken by a crashing sound. She sat up to find Lilly scaredto death staring at the door. Eliza grabbed Lilly and hugged her. Thecrashing was loud and got louder as whoever it was got inside thehouse. She heard mother cry out and the sound of feet thunderingthrough the house. Eliza hugged Lilly tightly knowing the soldiersknew. She knew mother was terrified by her cries. The soldiersentered their room and pulled the girls to the family room. Motherand father were on their knees in front of the fireplace hugging oneanother crying. When the soldiers dragged Eliza and Lilly in, motherand father looked at them with concern. They were forced on theirknees as well.

Thesoldiers searched the house and destroyed everything in their path.Father watched furious they would disrespect them. Lilly was shakingand crying beside Eliza so Eliza pulled her in her arms and held hertightly in her arms. The soldiers paid them no mind as they continuedsearching the house. They made a lot of noise letting Eliza know justwhere they were. They threw mothers cloth all over the floor and evenbroke fathers favorite vase. Water splattered everywhere and the oncebeautiful flowers were not ripped apart. Eliza tried to calm herracing heart and the tears threatening to spill. She had to be bravefor Lilly. Father was trying for mother and that was what theyneeded.

"Search the rooms. They aregood with hiding their spells." One soldier said taking guard ofthe front door. They were taking caution in case they tried toescape. The way mother watched the door, she had plans of escaping.Knowing mother, she would make Eliza take Lilly and escape leavingthem alone to take all the trouble. Eliza could not do that. She hadto be brave like father.

After what seemed like an hour,the soldiers gathered together in the family room and talked amongstthemselves then one walked to Eliza and jerked her up. His grip wasstrong and Eliza felt pain shoot up her arm. She cried out, butrefused to let them know they were hurting her. Mother looked atEliza and gave her a scared look.

"This is the witch. Takeher." The soldier who had her said.

Mother stood up and shouted nowhich got her slapped. That did not slow her down because she wasback on her feet trying to defend Eliza. Father tried to stop her,but she would not back down.

"No. My daughter is not awitch. She knows nothing of witches. I am the witch."

The soldier snapped his headaround to face mother. He did not believe her.

"We know your not a witch.Sit down woman."

"No sir. I am the witch. Itried to force it upon my daughter, but she refused. I am the evilone. Take me." The soldier hesitated then shoved Eliza down andgrabbed mother. Eliza cried out no, but her mother gave her a looksaying quiet. Eliza hugged her father and cried letting fathercomfort her. They bound mothers hands and jerked her outside to thehorses. The lead soldier studied father.

"Take him. He is the witcheswife." Eliza screamed no, but father gently shoved her back. Hestood up and held his wrists out waiting to be bounded. Eliza quicklygrabbed Lilly and held her tight afraid they would take her as well.The soldiers jerked father out with mother and then looked back atthe girls.

"Sir, we should take them aswell. They are the witches children. They might have the same powers.We cannot take risks. The queen will be furious with us." Theshorter soldier said. The lead soldier studied Eliza and Lilly as herubbed his chin. Eliza silently prayed that they would leave and nottake either one. The lead soldier walked to Eliza and forced her tolook at him. His eyes were a dark color and he had hair all over hisface. Eliza tried to jerk out of his grasp, but he held on tightlyhurting her chin.

"Take them. We take norisks."

The soldiers reached out tograb them, but Eliza grabbed Lilly and ran. If she could run to theforest, they would be safe and the soldiers would not find them. Shenearly dragged Lilly along as she ran. She could hear the soldiersfeet splashing in the mud as they chased her. She could tell theywere gaining speed on her.

The rain poured down soakingEliza's dress, but she didn't care. She had to protect Lilly and keepthem from the queen. Mother and father would want them to be therefor each other. She held Lilly's hand tightly not letting go. She wasalmost to the forest. A few more feet. Before she could reach theforest, Lilly's hand slipped from hers. Eliza looked to see that theshort soldier had grabbed Lilly and was taking her back to joinmother and father. Eliza screamed and cried as she watched Lillybeing taken. Lilly reached for her screaming her name. Eliza's feetwould not move. She could not go after her and get her back. Shewould just turn herself in and they would be together always. But alook from mother told her not to give up. To keep fighting for theirsakes. Eliza could feel her heart shattering in pieces, but motherwanted her to save them all. It was up to Eliza.

She ran in the forest beforethe soldiers could come for her and hid. When the soldiers got tiredof searching for her for what seemed like hours, they decided to goback to the queen and search again later. Eliza stood by the tree andwatched her family be taken from her. Forever. Tears fell down herface for she knew she would never see them again.

"I will stop this mother."