Chapter 9: Open To Something More by @JessPhiveowan

Magsimula sa umpisa

Eddy huffed as he noticed his phone buzzed from underneath the pile of clothes at the corner of the room. His hands were full with holding different bits of the garment and his efforts at folding them in were proving futile. He noticed that the sleeves of his under shirt were showing and sighed. He resigned himself to starting yet again and dropped the belt.

He readjusted the hem and pulled the fabric close to his body. He finally managed to pull the left and right sides of the kimono such that the hem would brush the top of his foot. All that was left was to tie the belt around his waist and to go over that with the coloured sash. He was so close! He called out to his sister, "Belle, belle! Could you help me with something, please?"

He thought he heard the doorbell ring from a distance but he wasn't sure if that came from the tutorial he had been playing over and over on his laptop while trying to put his look together. He heard Belle call out from a floor below, "Just a minute! Helping grandma with...'s here..." The rest of her response was drowned out by the sound of rustling bags before the thumps of groceries being unloaded on the kitchen counter.

Eddy heard fragments of the conversation, "Apples... pie... won't you help me with this, dear?" Eddy was glad that he didn't have to answer the door in his get-up, he wasn't ready to give his grandma the shock of her life just yet (or ever).

He thought to check his phone and waddled over slowly. Just before he reached it, a familiar tune began to play from his laptop's playlist. Eddy recognised the starting tune of Richard Strauss's Symphonia Domestica. That piece always gave him so much imagery, and he chuckled as he remembered the time he turned up for filming in a towel. The look on Brett's face had been priceless. "Wow... that was a year before the fateful fan fiction reading for this year's Valentines video", Eddy thought.

If he felt beautiful in his towel then, he was even more beautiful now! Eddy sauntered to the mirror and looked over his make-up and outfit with a pleased smile. He wasn't weird, he was fabulous! He loved his get up and swayed his hips from side to side to see the flow of fabric.

He closed his eyes and envisioned how he would approach Brett in the imaginary battle scene. "Halt, thee intruder! My lord is not home and you may not enter without getting through me first!"

He made a few exaggerated martial art moves and drew out a large paper fan. He flicked it open and exclaimed in a high-pitched voice, "Though you are the most handsome man I have laid my eyes upon, you shall not pass me easily. I will charm you with my body..."

Eddy drew his hands close to himself and sashayed with his eyes still closed, "Oh no, what have you done to me? My magic cannot defeat your mighty charm! I am falling in deep, deep love!"

Eddy heard a gasp and his eyes flew open. He froze in shock. "B-B-Brett?! Oh! Uh, uh, uh, it's not what you think! I-I.. Weren't you supposed to be here only at 1?" Eddy stammered. He expected a look of disgust and felt his body flood with shame.

His face turned scarlet, and as Brett's widened eyes continued to burn holes into him, Eddy squeaked and made a dash for the connecting bathroom. He couldn't bear the humiliation and slammed the door shut.

Behind the door, Eddy hid his face in his hands. How was he ever to face Brett now?!

He was caught up in a flood of emotions, "Oh my god he's gonna hate me... Oh my god why..." Eddy felt tears in his eyes as he desperately tried to make sense of what had just happened. Shock. Dismay. Embarrassment. Fear. Shame. Eddy was petrified.

Brett coughed at the opposite end of the door, "Uh, Eddy. I... I think you look absolutely stunning..."

There was a pause as Brett seemed to struggle with what to say. Eddy hid his face in his hands. Well, what can one say after stumbling upon your best friend in the most ridiculous get-up you had ever seen? And receiving a confession to boot? Eddy was sure this would be the last he would ever see of Brett.

Brett's voice was hushed, he murmured, "Uh... I'm flattered. I've given what you said yesterday some thought. I know, it's damn awkward man, our valentine's video and everything. But uh, OH god dammit..."

Strauss thundered in the background.

"You said you were open to something more?" What came was almost a plea.

Eddy crept closer to the door and held his breath. Brett continued, "Well, I feel the same."

(artwork by instagram

(artwork by instagram.com/elesan.nv4)

(Who's next, breddy writers and readers?)