Chapter 9: Open To Something More by @JessPhiveowan

Eddy savoured his latte and leaned back against the chair in the café. The peaceful ambience in the store was feeding his creativity and he began to formulate new ideas for possible videos. Going with his new look... how about a string battle between a Japanese Shamisen- wielding geisha and a Western concerto-playing classical violinist? It would be a fiery duet between the plucked strings of the traditional instrument and the powerful bowing from the violin.

It would be the perfect combination of minor 3rds and 6ths, wistful and morose until the music transposes and is transfigured into a vivacious and lively piece. Eddy could envision it already, Brett matching the almost shy, icy tone of the traditional instrument with his warm and summer-like violin notes.

Eddy was sure this fusion-style would captivate two-setters for sure, and contemplated going to Brett's place right now to tell him all about it.

But... how would Brett react to his current look? Eddy grimaced. Well, perhaps it would be a little too soon to appear in front of his crush. He was feeling himself with his new look but when faced with Brett, he was sure to go into a meltdown.

The knot in his stomach started again but he was determined to quell it. "Enough! I've been working out and controlling my diet so strictly, I'll be beautiful soon!" He took a deep breath. Perhaps he could go shopping for his geisha-styled outfit first before pitching the idea to Brett?

Eddy downed the last of his latte and whipped out his phone to type a quick text message.

9.30 AM

Eddy:

Bro I've got a video idea

Wanna come over to discuss later?

9.35 AM

Brett:

Alright

What time?

Eddy:

Maybe 1?

Brett:

Kay

Be there after my appointment

Eddy:

Cool

See ya

Eddy slipped his phone back into his pocket. There was a Japanese costume store just round the corner and they carried a few traditional get-ups that could portray the look he had in mind. He remembered peeking in and being enamoured with the pale pastels and prints when he was on his way to the café with Brett previously. Surely... they would have something for his build?

With renewed vigour, Eddy made a beeline for the brightly-lit costume store and went in. He remained there for about an hour before leaving with a large bag. He took a quick glance at his phone. "I have time, I'll try this on and remove my make-up before Brett comes." He could not contain his excitement, and skipped home and hugged the bag tight against his chest.

Eddy got home and skipped past his sister's room to get to his room. "I've got something amazing, Belle! It's going to be the most magical thing ever!" Belle smiled at his antics and snickered at how animated he was. Eddy popped his head back in, "Oh yeah, Brett's coming later at noon."

Eddy's phone vibrated in the back pocket of his jeans which had been discarded on the ground. He had his hands full and was scrutinising his appearance in his mirror. The garment was proving extremely tricky to put together and he struggled to adjust the white slip collar of his kimono evenly around his neck. "Argh! This was not how I imagined it would go from all the tutorials! It's so hard, and everything's slipping!" It took several tries before he managed to detangle his belt and wrap it around his waist while holding on to the extra material of his kimono.