Starlet

Summary: Alternate world. Set in 1930s Los Angeles, CA.

⊰❉⊱

It was early in the morning when the phone rang. A normal person would have been asleep at that hour but he wasn't. The smell of cigarettes surrounded him as he stared at the latest report he had received just the day before. He wondered if it would be a good idea to pour himself another drink but quickly dismissed the idea. That really wouldn't help him.

Looking at the phone as it rang, he sighed. There were only a few people who would call him at such an ungodly hour. Letting the phone ring, he turned back to the report, hoping to get some more work done... but just a few moments after the phone stopped ringing, it rang again.

"Do you know what time it is?" he asked, picking up the phone.

"Good morning to you too," The voice of his best friend Wally greeted him. "It is lovely to hear your voice so early in the morning," he chuckled at his own words.

Dick rolled his eyes even though no one could see. "Wally, how can I help you at," he paused to look at the clock on the wall. "Four, almost five in the morning?"

"We have a meeting. So it's a good thing you are already up."

"A meeting?" He asked it had been a while since he was last asked to attend a meeting. "And what is this meeting about?"

"I have no idea," He could imagine Wally shrugging as he said that. "I was only tasked with getting you there... So will I have to go get you or can you get here yourself?"

"I'll be there," He sighed. "At what time is this meeting?"

"In two hours... So be there early," Wally said before the line went dead.

⊰❉⊱

He still had ten minutes to spare when he arrived at the meeting room and found Wally standing outside. Waiting for him.

"So what's this all about?" he asked, standing next to his friend and taking the offered cup of coffee. "What could possibly be so important?"

"I have no idea," Wally answered with a small shrug of his shoulders. "They really have not said anything..." he sounded somewhat bored. "Come on," he said patting him on the shoulder before walking into the room, Richard right behind him.

It wasn't long before Captain Jones entered the room, nodding at the two detectives before taking a seat.

"Grayson. West," he said greeted the pair as his assistant handed them some folders. "You have a new assignment," he said, not wasting a moment and getting straight to business. "I need you to look after LA's newest darling. Rising star and what not" he said, motioning to the folders. "There have been some... issues and the studio needs to make sure she is safe.

It was not a secret that money made things move in the city. If you had the money you could do whatever you wanted and there were only a handful in the city with the kind of money needed to boss the police around.

"We're on it, boss," Wally said, genuinely pleased with their task. Looking at his friend, Richard was already reading the file. No surprises there. Out of the two, he had always been the impatient one, always quick to act; while Richard was always analyzing every last detail, taking his time to do things right.

"Yes. We are on it."

"Good. The young lady has been made aware of this and she will be expecting you both," Captain Jones said and they both knew they were dismissed. "Do let me know if anything relevant happens."