Outlaws

Summary: AU. Dick Grayson receives a message from Jason Todd, who is now known as the Red Hood. Intrigued, Dick agrees to meet with him.

As of late, Gotham wasn't a place he frequented often. At least not anymore. Blüdhaven kept him quite busy but when he received Jason's message, he couldn't help but be intrigued. Jason wasn't someone who liked to keep in touch with others, especially if they had any connection to Batman so whatever he needed must be something really important.

That's how Dick found himself standing in a dark alley, in one of the quietest areas of Gotham. That was a little strange but Dick didn't dwell on it. He simply stayed out of sight and waited for Jason to show up... and he didn't have to wait long.

As if he was appearing out of thin air, Jason stepped out of the shadows, his red helmet in place as always. "Grayson," he said, stopping before the older man.

"Todd," Dick replied, crossing his arms over his chest.

For a moment there was silence between the two young man before Jason broke it. "I'll never admit to saying this, but I'm glad you came."

"Can't say I'm not curious," Dick retorted being completely honest. He was curious as to what had made Jason contact him.

"Again, I never said this," Jason said as he mirrored Dick's position and crossed his arms over his chest. "I require your assistance..."

From all the things Dick had been expecting to hear, Jason asking for help, or assistance as he said, had not been one of them. "Come again?"

"You heard me."

A small smile played on Dick's lips. "I did. Just wanted to make sure I heard you correctly."

Jason scoffed. "So... Will you help?" he said, uttering the last word as if it had caused him physical pain to say it.

"With what?"

"It would be best if I show you," Jason replied after contemplating his options for a short moment.

"Lead the way."

⊰ ❉ ⊱

A few minutes later, Dick found himself in a large warehouse. The place was mostly empty, except for some large boxes scattered around.

"Getting back into business?" Dick asked, hoping Jason wouldn't answer with a yes. He may not show it but Dick worried for Jason. While Jason worked with Batman as Robin after he had left, he hadn't been there much for the young boy. He was eager to make a name for himself away from Batman's shadow that he neglected his younger brother... Dick didn't like to admit it but it wasn't until Jason died that he realized what he had done wrong and for now, it seemed that there was no chance to fix that. Jason wasn't interested and Dick wasn't going to push him.

"No," Jason's reply was quiet that he almost didn't catch it. "I'm just not one for cleaning."

Dick smiled softly. "I see..."

The pair stopped by a door when Jason turned to look at Dick, removing his helmet in the process. "Don't do something stupid," he said before turning to open the door and stepping into the room, leaving Dick to follow.

Dick was slightly puzzled by those words but followed Jason nonetheless and he was certainly surprised by what he saw in the room. There playing some card game with Roy Harper was Koriand'r, the Tamaranean princess he hadn't seen in over a year. She was supposed to be on Tamaran but apparently, that was not the case.

Being only able to watch the red-headed princess, Dick was brought out of his shock by her laughter.

"Oh, I lost," she said and despite those words, she was smiling. "This is truly an entertaining game," she added, playing with a couple of cards before handing them back to Roy. "But I still need more practice..."

"Kori," Jason called from across the room, interrupting whatever it was that Roy was going to say.

Kori turned to look at Jason, smiling brightly as she did but her smile vanished once she laid eyes on the man standing next to him. Tilting her face in confusion, she stood from her seat and approached the pair.

"I know you... I think," she said to Dick, who without his mask would have looked just as confused as she was.

Doesn't she recognize me? He wondered.

Tracing her fingers against the red detail on his suit, Dick gasped quietly. So quietly that she only heard because she was standing so close. "I thought it was blue..." she murmured to herself before looking up at Dick. "Am I mistaken?"

"Mistaken?" was the only thing Dick could utter.

"I knew someone," she said before slightly shaking her head, somewhat frustrated with herself. "At least I think I knew—him... But I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time..." she sighed, her eyes fixed on a random stop of the floor.

"Kori," Jason said before Dick could say anything, drawing the Tamaranean's attention to himself. "You're not wrong this time."

"You promise?" she asked, only getting a short nod in response from Jason. Kori's bright smile returned, reminding Dick of a younger Kori, the one he had met when he was still Robin.

"Care to explain what's going on?" he asked Jason while returning Kori's smile. The alien princess seemed to be watching him carefully as if he would disappear if she looked away.

Jason shrugged. "We crossed paths a few months ago... She didn't remember much but she remembered you—in a way."

"Someone said something about Nightwing on TV and she replied with Richard," Roy added, shuffling his cards. "We figure you two might know each other," he smiled. "And what do you know, we were right."

"Right," Dick nodded as Kori called for his attention.

Kori was beaming with happiness. "You're Richard," she said to which Dick nodded in response.

"And you are Koriand'r of Tamaran," he repeated the words she had used to introduce herself all those years ago.

"You're my friend," she stated though she wasn't entirely sure it that was the case.

Rubbing the back of his neck, Dick nodded. "Something like that."

"Oh," she leaned closer. "We were more than friends?"

"Yeah. Yes, we were," he nodded. This wasn't a conversation he wanted to have in front of an audience. "We can talk anytime you want," he offered. "That might help you remember..."

"Oh, that would be most nice," Kori nodded eagerly before wrapping her arms around him. "I am most glad we found each other... even if I barely remember you."

"It's good to see you again," he said, returning the hug.

⊰ ❉ ⊱

Authors note: Hi there! Thanks for reading this chapter. I really hope you guys enjoyed it.

Don't forget to comment, vote and share if you liked it! And thanks again for reading this chapter.