Bullying the Bully

Bullying the Bully

One time in our lives my cousins and I were very close. Thick as thieves one could say. We did everything together. We loved to play with the Nintendo, and played five hundred with a football. But most of all, when we were outside we enjoyed playing tag on the jungle gym that was at a ballpark complex where our uncles' and fathers' played softball.

So as to say, our connection to each other was so close; that the other kids there were fascinated by us. Sometimes they would ask to join us and we usually didn't mind them playing. When they asked to play we would tell them all our names as we would want to know their names well. We did not expect them to learn all our names since there were six of us and only one or two of them.

We must have passed time playing on the equipment for hours. Kids would come and kids would go, but we always had each other. We could get annoyed with another and leave, but we always came back together. As we would play games we would invent new rules and take out other rules. It was a time of innocence.

On one occasion, we stopped playing in the jungle gym and were watching the game our family was playing. The youngest must have went back to the jungle gym, because he ran out saying some other kid was calling him a "faggot". He seemed very upset.

"Who is that kid?" ask one of us.

"He's in the jungle gym," he said.

"Let's get him," we said as we ran following the youngest.

"There he is!" our cousin exclaimed pointing him out.

As we approached the approached the kid whom, called him a "faggot" he seemed a little nervous as there were six against one. It was one of those kids that thought he could be rude to anyone he wanted to. We were going to get to the bottom of this.

"Why are you calling our cousin a "faggot"?" one of us asked the bully. The kid's jaw dropped. Then we started bombarding with questions getting closer to him. He was speechless through the whole ordeal, not knowing what to make of it. Overwhelmed by our interrogating; the child ran off.

"And stay away!" our youngest yelled happy with himself as he stood a little taller.

"Shut up," we told him, "and wipe that smirk off your face." The youngest did what he was told stepping back not as proud as before.

Nobody bothers our family calling us names and gets away with it. We could call each other names out of l joking, teasing and out of love. We were stronger then. We are family.