Chapter Twenty: Moonlight and stars

Start from the beginning

"It's so nice to be back at the institute! Knowledge is power, ya know what they say.... Well, Goodnight then!" I said waving a small goodby which she reciprocated meekly, looking utterly flabbergasted over the whole thing.

After shutting my door I had to pinch my nose shut and hold my breath to keep from absolutely losing it. Her face was just too perfect for the whole thing. I slid against the door, holding my abdomen.

"Oh my god I can't believe that actually worked" I said wiping a tear from my bottom lashes after I had managed to compose myself.

"Ah yes, the ol' shock and run tactic, works every time" Peter said like an old scholar.

I was still chuckling as I made my way back to the little sliver of bed that I had been so graciously granted by this metallic-haired Sir. I jumped over him, and landed on my butt exactly where I wanted to be. I grinned triumphantly.

"Someone get this girl to the Olympics" Peter remarked rolling his eyes and I stood up, taking a bow.

"I'd like to thank the academy-"

"Alright there Katherine Hepburn" he said and I sat back down, still chuckling.

We sat in a light hearted silence for the next ten minutes. Eventually I couldn't help but say what was gnawing on my mind, "has your mutation changed recently?" I asked suddenly, relieving a huge weight from my chest.

"Not that I'm aware of. What makes you ask?"

"I feel like mine has" I said sitting up and wrapping my arms around my knees.

"How so?"

"I don't know" I sighed, staring to regret brining up the topic entirely. "I just feel like I can't do some of the things that I could any more"

"Like?"

"Looking at memories, feeling emotions from other people... hell, I couldn't even tell if you were happy or sad right now" I said pressing my forehead into my hands.

"But it's not possible to just lose an ability, isn't it?"

"I don't know" I admitted miserably. "Maybe I'll go talk to Sage tomorrow."

I felt him sit up and snake and arm around my waist. I melted into his side at the touch.

"Well can you tell what emotion I've got right now?" Peter asked me in a startlingly gentle voice.

I shook my mind free of these thoughts and concentrated hard for a moment. That extra sense I always envisioned as dark murky cloud that told me other people's emotions was reaching out blindly, grasping only empty space.

"No" I said quietly after awhile.

"I'll give you some help on this one cause it's kind of a tough one; picture someone taking a physical representation of safety. What do you see when you think of safety?" He whispered into my ear as he leaned his head against mine.

"An old comfy chair next to warm fireplace" I said a smile dusting my lips. If I had spoken my mind I would have said "you"
but I had stopped myself.

I heard him chuckle at my answer. "Now what do you see when you think of being content?"

"A happy family" I said and he didn't reply right away. "What? Not my family, one of those hallmark Christmas movie families with the perfect lives."

"Alright then... lastly what do you see when you think of helplessness."

This last one threw me off guard and had my mind scrambling for an answer "being stranded at sea with only water proof suit cases to keep you afloat."

"So you're Tom Hanks now?" He asked smiling.

"Shut up, you know that'd be terrifying."

"Now take all of those images and put them all in front of you side-by-side then put it all on a spin-cycle on low and like magic, you've got my emotion at the current moment. Does that make you feel any better?"

"I guess so. Although it took a good five minutes longer than normal" I smiled and looked up from my comforter. He looked rather proud of himself.

"You're something, you know that?" I said scrunching up my nose.

"But it did made you feel better, didn't it?"

I nodded "of course it did Peter" I said laughing. Of course it did.

*

*

A/N: Hey guys!! So I got a lead on our schools fall play this year: a Wrinkle in Time (I'm Mrs Whatsit!!!) so if I seem a little laggy (which I shouldn't, but in the case that I do) you know why! Also anyone to name the movie I referenced when I mentioned the floating suitcases get my appreciation and a lovely lovely shout out!

Question of the day: what do you guys think about the deadpool movie being green-lit? (Being confirmed)

Me?: *singing and dancing in circles* I'm so excited!!!