8. Emergency

<Peridot's POV>

I pulled myself from my mattress as I heard constant knocking on our door. I glanced around for Lapis and saw that she had already left.

I pulled the door open and saw someone I'd never seen before. He was well muscled and rather tall. He had buzzed hair and a stoney expression.

"Hello. My name is Topaz Julius. I am here to see Lazuli." He spoke briskly, his arms folded behind him.

"Lapis?" I questioned, looking at the man skeptically. She'd never mentioned this guy.

"If that's what you call her. Yes." Topaz said with a curt nod.

"May I ask why?"

"That is Lazuli's business." He told me with a cold glare.

"Julius!" Snapped the voice of the woman I question.

"M-Miss Lazuli." He stuttered as I stood it utter surprise.

"What have I told you about this?!" She growled, taking on a cold, collective anger I hadn't seen before.

"N-Never disturb you...unless it's an absolute emergency." He recited.

"And is there an emergency?" Lapis asked, not once dropping her composure.

"Actually, yes. It's... It's Ethan." (I will not give anything away, but for those of you who have seen Mission Impossible. I'm referring to Ethan Hunt.)

Lapis' eyes widened with sudden urgency. "What's wrong with him...?"

I noticed she sounded scared, upset even.

"That's classified until we arrive ma'am." He told her, looking to me.

"May we have a moment Julius?" She asked, turning to me, he nodded and stepped to wait by the stairs.

"Lapis? What's going on? Who is that guy? Who's Ethan?" I rambled the questions I'd been holding inside in a long string.

"Look...Peri..." She swallowed, "I have to go somewhere, I'll be back in a few hours... I'll talk to you then, okay?" Lapis asked, I could tell the need to leave was rising by the second.

I sighed, "Promise...?"

"Promise."

<Lapis POV>

I raced out the door after my conversation with Peridot. This was something she couldn't get involved in. Something she couldn't know about. And I will do everything in my power to keep it that way. When we first got together I was afraid to hurt her, and I know, if she knew of this, I'd be putting her in immediate danger.

When Topaz and I arrived we were greeted by Opal Aurene, our medic.

"Lazuli." She spoke, looking to her feet.

"Yes? How is he?" I urged, desperate to hear the man that was like a father to me was okay.

"He is... I... He isn't going to make it." She said lightly, averting her gaze from mine. I froze.

He was dying?

No.

No.

I ran down the hall and shouted at a nurse for his room number.

I paused at the door and knocked.

"Come in."

Ethan's voice was weak, old. I swallowed and regained my composure.

"Hunt?" I asked, sitting in the edge of his bed.

"Lazuli." He said, sitting up slightly. "You heard I'm assuming?"

"Yes." I said, looking down. "Are they sure?"

"Positive. I don't have long. There are things you need to know before I go." Ethan said, his voice never breaking, despite his weak state.

"What is it?" I asked, putting on a professional look.

"We're dealing with some bad people, Lapis. Something I haven't seen in awhile. A gang. A big gang. They're becoming more and more of a pressing issue." He said firmly. "And it'll be your first mission as Lead." He smiled a weak, proud, and genuinely happy smile.

"Of course, sir. I'll do my best to stand where you stood." I said, returning the smile, tears welling in my eyes.

"I know you will........" He trailed off, his eyes suddenly lost their light as the monitor began to beep steadily.

I choked a small sob.

<Time Skip>

Ethan's funeral was to be discreet, but beautiful, considering there is no Ethan Hunt. He was a man who never truly existed to the public world. It would be held in two weeks.

I stood facing Charlie Xonder. Ethan's partner for the mission.

"What happened?" I asked, wanting to know exactly how he died.

"Well." He swallowed. "He was ambushed by their leader... Their leader was younger, faster, and stronger. Unfortunately Ethan just couldn't make it." Charlie said somberly.

I nodded, he died nobly, as I had expected.

"Thank you. You're dismissed for the day." I said softly. He nodded and walked from the room.

I called a small meeting and discussed exactly what we we're dealing with after I'd checked over the records of the gang.

I had extra patrols, and heightened security. That's all we could do until they strike next.

After the meeting I hopped on my motorcycle and drove home, thoughts swarming my brain. It was now crucial I kept Peridot in the dark. No doubt in my mind told me if she knew, she could be killed, kidnapped, or tortured by the gang.

The weight of losing Ethan weighed hard on my shoulders as well, never had I thought he'd be gone so soon. But I guess, no one ever does. And now I was in charge. Me. In charge. The thought scared me, I knew I was a good agent, or I wouldn't be were I am now at my age. But how was I supposed to live up to an image like his? Be able to lead the way he could?

I shook myself from my brooding as I parked in the college lot. I sighed and walked up to Peridot and my dorm.

I opened the door and stepped in, as soon as I did so Peridot flung herself at me, wrapping her arms around my neck and devouring me in a hungry kiss.

"Hi." I said with a smirk as she pulled away.

"Spill." She said, sitting in the bed now.

"Not wasting time, eh?" I laughed humorlessly and sat beside her. "Topaz is my father, Ethan's, caregiver. Ethan was sick, and he passed away just a few hours ago." I told her, it wasn't really a lie... Just exaggerated truth.

"Oh, I'm so sorry Laz..." Peridot said, pulling me in for another hug. I smiled into crook of her neck.

"Don't be, he died a great man." I said softly. That was the whole, complete truth.

A/N: I finally updated my Readers!! I'm so happy! Writer's block is slowly ceasing! And I'd like to ask, so I can get to know you, what's all your favorite movie, song, artist, band, and show?!

For me:

Movies: Harry Potter, Star Wars, Star Trek, Godzilla, Shawshank Redemption, Httyd, Lord of The Rings, Mission Impossible, and many many more! I've seen so many movies it's rather scary.

Song: None for me really, it changes to much to have a favorite.

Artist: Billie Eilish, Rob Zombie, Emminem, Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Harrison Ford, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Robert Williams, Emma Watson, Danny Davido, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jack Nicholson, and Matt Damon (I met him). And too many more.

Band: Queen, Coldplay, Tragically Hip, The Cure, Joy Drop, Catherine Wheel, Disturbed, Metallica, Panic! At The Disco, Twenty One Pilots and more.

Shows: Teen Titans (NOT GO), The Man In The High Castle, Band Of Brothers, Everybody Loves Raymond, Steven Universe, Rtte, Golden Girls, and Henry Danger.

Bye all! Live long and prosper!