Umbridge

I sat on the Hogwarts express looking out the window. The trees whipped by the mistful sky. Of course, it hurt to say goodbye to Mom and Dad. He was in his 'snuffles' form. It didn't matter though. I needed to do this.

In the compartment with me was Hermione, who had her nose in a book. She occasionally snuck glances my way, and blush when she was caught. Which I thought was adorable.

I saw Daphne openly looking at me. Nothing but love and adoration in her eyes. Her Crystal Blue always pulling at my heartstrings. It's like we were both entranced.

However, I turned to look at my Luna who stared airily in space. I chuckled lightly catching her attention. Luna then gave me a mischievous look glint in her eyes.

Slowly, she stood and spun around until her back was facing me. Harshly, she dropped down until she sat down on my lap. Leaving a surprised groan to escapr from my lips.

Luna, still on my lap, twisted to face me and laughed. I couldn't hold in the secret mirth any longer and laughed with my flower. I turned to Daphne to see her fighting a smile and Hermione giggling non stop. We were happy.

Until an unexpected guest arrived.

The cart door slid open and there stood Malfoy and his goons.

"Well, look who it is boys, the devils spawn," Malfoy croaked. His cronies laughed hard behind him while I sat there dumbfounded. After a couple of seconds it was clear he was awaiting some sort of response.

"...Is that supposed to insult me ?,"I asked. "Was THAT what you thought of for thirty minutes before wasting my time ? I'm insulted that THAT was the insult. You could've made a dragon joke, a harem joke, or a no father joke. Instead you go with 'devil's spawn'. Pathetic. Get out of my cart before I hear another wasteful word out of your ferret like lips."

Everyone was silent. By this time Draco's face was beet red. From anger or embarassment I did not know. Nor did I care. I just wanted him out.

"Watch your back freak," Draco managed to stammer out.

"Will do," i said uninterested. Him and his cronies roughly closed our cart door behind them as they left. Not too long after the door slid open to reveal the Weasley twins, Ron, Harry, Ginny and some other students.

"Everything alright in here ? We saw Malfoy walk in," Harry asked warily.

"You should be asking if Malfoy is alright," Hermione said proudly.

"What are you on about ?," Ron joined.

I opened my mouth to say something but Daphne interrupted instead.

"Malfoy strutted in here like the clown he was and our (Y/N) told him off," Daphne boomed in pride.

"You know what a clown is ?"

"Granger taught me some things."

"I thought we were on first name basis ?," Hermione squinted.

"Possibly."

We all cracked up in complete laughter. Our hearts filled with a small measure of peace. Of course we knew what was coming. We needed heartfelt moments like this however. A distraction for the time being.

______________________________________

"...We also wish to welcome our new defense against the dark arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge," Dumbledore nearly finished on the podium.

Umbridge gave a sickly sweet laugh in response, receiving side eyes from the teacher. They, as well as we, all knew why she was here.

"And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck, now as usual our caretaker Mr. Filch-"

"Hem Hem," Umbridge cleared her throat interrupting our headmaster.

After hearing what Harry told me she was already on my shit list. However, I knew that I couldn't start trouble. Legally I couldn't do anything. Add that with my fathers name and I barely have any legal power. As far as I'm concerned I HAD to do things by the book or else I could face prison time. In other words I had to follow her orders.

Hopefully, she wasn't such a bitch about it.

Right now, I sat at the Gryffindor table with Hermione to my right and Neville to my left. Harry and Ron sat in front of us but it seemed strangely odd. No one from Harry's side sat close to him. It was like he had the plague or something.

As I realized this I looked at everyone to see some staring back. Giving me eyes of awe horror or...hate. Why ? Is it because I survived ? Because if the girls ? Or because of my high status ?

What was going on ?

I turned to the Slytherin table to see Daphne make a face at me. It was clearly directed at Umbridge's speech. I struggled to keep my laughter in bringing wary eyes to my table.

This was going to be one hell of a year.