"I'm still just above Carver from Eleven." Deedee stated, "But we both moved up two spots after the interviews." she said, making her voice go up a little bit to make herself sound more optimistic.

Sage felt like he had a rock in his stomach that was making him want to sink further into the chair.

"You have a chance, you know," Deedee stated, "I've seen you in the Hob with what you catch in the woods."

Sage didn't say anything at first, "You have a shot too. Stick with the strategy that Haymitch suggested to us."

Run away. Hide. Wait.

Deedee scoffed, "Not even Haymitch gave much thought into his advice for me." she sighed heavily, "I don't blame him." she said quickly looking back at Sage. "If I'm not going to win, I would want you to."

"Stop," Sage sighed heavily, "stop talking like that. Like you're already dead."

"I might as well be." she replied, quickly looking down at the hem of her sleeve while she ran it between her fingers.

      Sage and Deedee didn't say much of anything else to one another. There wasn't much to say. There was no point in getting emotional with one another now. Come morning, they'd both be in the arena. If there was a chance one of them or even both of them would be dead by noon. But the both of them must have fallen asleep finally in the living room, because Sage was woken up by Effie shaking his shoulder gently. He wasn't sure how well he had slept, he was exhausted at first— and was falling back asleep as Effie went to wake Deedee. It wasn't until she shook him again that he woke up.

"Sage, it's time to get up. They'll be bringing in a small breakfast while you change." she spoke, Sage woke up more simply because her voice wasn't as excited or high pitched as it was every other morning when she woke him up. "Today's the day."

Those words woke him up right away. He sat up in the chair and stretched a bit, glancing at Deedee who seemed to be just as awake as he was.

"Your prep teams brought your basic clothes to get into, and they'll meet with you just before you enter the arena." Effie explained simply, "Why don't you two go change, breakfast will be ready when you're done."

Sage rose from his seat to do as he was told. He glanced at Effie finally, and saw that she was sporting a black dress with golden trimmings, her jewelry was gold too, and her hair was as well. She had a few clips in that were black jewels— this was the first time that she seemed to wear anything that resembled District Twelve. And as she walked away, he couldn't help but pair it with her gentle tone when she woke them up— was she not looking forward to the games starting? Did she feel bad for him and Deedee?

"Effie?" Sage spoke as Deedee walked by him.

She stopped and turned towards him, "Yes?"

"Are you alright?"

Effie seemed a bit taken aback by his question. Her lips quickly formed a smile, "Oh, yes...today is just...not my favorite day." she explained simply, "I enjoy the days where the fashion is the biggest talking point."

Sage offered her a small smile, he knew what she meant. And for once, Sage even felt bad for Effie. Haymitch had lost tributes, but he had also been in the games. Effie had never been in the games. But still, although it was her second year, she lost tributes too.

"Okay, just checking." he said simply, not pushing the subject any further.

Sage went back to his room, where a small stack of clothes was waiting for him. A dark gray t-shirt, and a pair of black cargo pants that had plenty of pocket space. Then on the floor, were a pair of heavy duty boots. After he was dressed, he took a look around the room— it had become somewhat of a home to him. Then he made his way out to the dining area where sure enough there was a small breakfast set up. He and Deedee both only ate a small amount— his nerves made him feel full after just one sip of orange juice. What they ate was only to please Effie who was exceptionally quiet compared to other meals.