{Chapter Twenty-Three}

.  .  .  .  .

Jack descended the stairs to D Deck, making his way to the First Class Reception Room, where the Sunday Mass was being held. He sought for Rose. He passed Mr. Andrews on his way over.

Removing his cap, he greeted him. "Hello, Mr. Andrews."

Andrews smiled, looking up from his notebook. "Hello, Jack. Excuse me for a moment while I check the engines." He walked away.

. . . . .

At the divine service, Captain Smith was leading a large group in the hymn, "Eternal Father Strong to Save." Rose, Ruth, and Cal sang in the middle of the group.

Lovejoy stood well back, keeping an eye on Rose. He noticed a commotion at the entry doors. Two stewards had halted Jack there. He was dressed in his third class clothes, and stood there, hat in hand, looking out of place.

One of the stewards spoke to Jack. "Look, sir, you're not supposed to be in here."

"I was just here last night...you don't remember?" He saw Lovejoy coming toward them. "He'll tell you."

Lovejoy had reached the group. "Mr. Hockley and Mrs. Dewitt Bukater continue to be appreciative of your assistance. They asked me to give you this in gratitude--"

He held out two twenty dollar bills, which Jack refused to take.

"I don't want money, I--"

"--and also to remind you that you hold a third class ticket and your presence, here, is no longer appropriate."

Jack spotted Rose, but she didn't see him.

"Please, I just need to talk to Rose for a--"

"Gentlemen, please see that Mr. Dawson gets back to where he belongs." Lovejoy gave the twenties to the stewards. "And that he stays there."

"Yes, sir!" The steward spoke to Jack. "Come along, you."

Rose did not see Jack get hustled out.

She continued singing, "Oh, hear us when we cry to thee, for those in peril on the sea."