{Chapter Sixteen}

.  .  .  .  .

Rose walked into the sunlight on the enclosed promenade. She was stunningly dressed in a yellow day gown, and walking with a purpose. To her, it seemed as if she hadn't felt the sun in years.

It was Saturday, April 13, 1912. Rose unlatched the gate to go down into third class. The steerage men on deck stopped what they were doing and stared at her.

. . . . .

The Third Class General Room was the social center of steerage life. It was stark by comparison to the opulence of first class, but was a loud, boisterous place. There were mothers with babies, children running between the benches yelling in several languages and being scolded in several more. There were old women yelling, men playing chess, and girls doing needlepoint or reading dime novels. There was even an upright piano and Tommy Ryan was noodling around on it.

Three boys, shrieking and shouting, were scrambling around chasing a rat under the benches, trying to whomp it out with a shoe and causing general havoc. Jack was playing with three-year-old Cora Cartmel, drawing funny faces together in his sketchbook.

Fabrizio was struggling to get a conversation going with an attractive Norwegian girl, Helga Dahl, sitting with her family on the other side of Jack and Cora on the bench.

"No Italian? Some little English?"

"No, no. Norwegian only."

Cora's father came their way and helped his daughter off of Jack's lap. "We have to go now, Cora. Say good-bye to Uncle Jack."

"Bye, Uncle Jack." Cora waved, her sweet voice melting Jack's heart.

"Bye, Cora." He waved back, smiling, then began to sketch whatever caught his eye. The piano? No. A boy playing with his teddy bear? Not quite. He finally settled his interests on a lonely, bearded man sitting in the corner. Jack tried his best to capture the emotion of this gentleman in his portrait.

Fabrizio continued to talk to the Norwegian girl. Using hand gestures and emphasizing his sounds, he tried to get her to pronounce his name.

"Fa-bri-zi-o. Fabrizio."

"Fabrizio!"

"Yes. Buon lavoro!"

Before Helga could say anything in response, something caught her eye. Fabrizio looked, did a double take, and glanced to Jack, who was too focused on his art to notice anything. Fabrizio tapped him, getting his attention, before indicating across the room with his eyes. Jack, curious, followed his gaze to see Rose coming toward them.

The activity in the room stopped...a hush fell. Rose suddenly felt self-conscious as the steerage passengers stared openly at this princess; some with resentment, others with awe. She spotted Jack and gave him a little smile. He stood up to meet her, grinning.

"Hello, Mr. Dawson."

Fabrizio, Helga, and Tommy were floored. It was like the slipper fitting Cinderella.

"Hello again."

"May I speak with you?"

"Yeah."

Rose looked at Jack's flabbergasted friends, with their mouths hung open, and started to feel uncomfortable again.

Jack stared at Rose, waiting for her to continue.

"In private?"

"Uh...yes, of course." Jack stumbled to pick up his things and almost fell. He blushed in embarrassment. Trying to compose himself, he gestured Rose forward with his hand. "After you."

Rose went ahead and Jack followed. He glanced over his shoulder, one eyebrow raised, as he walked with her, leaving a stunned silence.

.  .  .  .  .

I'm so thankful for all the love and support I've been getting, so I thought I'd post another chapter early for all my lovelies! >3